Mic level too low w/Motu 828

• Members

I haven't done very much vocal recording, but am starting to do more. I can never get enough level when recording vocals. I'm using an old MOTU 828 interface with my iMac 27 2.93ghz w/16 gigs of ram (just got that and LOVE it).

With input level on the 828 maxed, the noise floor is louder than the vocal sound from the mic, and it's still only at about -15 on the Logic channel strip. What am I doing wrong??

• Members

The thing is to try every combination, whether that's cables, mic preamps, connectors, settings, and so forth to try and see if you can isolate the problem. If it's doing it on all channels with every cable with every microphone with every connector and all connectors seem to be seated well (pull them in and out a few times with the volume down to make sure that everything is seated well), then it may be some sort of internal problem that you may have to get serviced.

• Members

Some interfaces have software settings for padding the inputs. If this unit came with a software control panel, check there to make sure you have them set to the right level. This is a bit strange. As noted by Ustad, try eliminated on thing in the chain at time until it goes away, including the interface itself. Maybe a firmware update is in order as well.

• Members

Hey bro. Unfortunately I have no experience at all with that particular interface, but I am really familiar with Logic, have you tried boosting the signal with the Gain plug in that it comes with? (When you click on the blank plug-in spot it's under the Macintosh menu then the Utilities heading, it's the first one of 3). Definitely check it out, it;s not the perfect solution, but it may work fine for what you need.

Archived