What's up with the noise / how your ears work.

• Members

IMO, it's easy to understand and well worth a watch if / when you have 12-13 minutes you can spare.
:wave:
http://www.wimp.com/upnoises/

Agreed. It also provides an excellent and entertaining primer on acoustics and the harmonic series.

The author, a scary-smart young woman named Vi Hart, calls herself a "mathemusician," and her other videos on "Doodling in Math Class" and on redefining pi are virtuosic works in stop-animation with clear, cogent explanations.

Brush up on your math chops before watching these, but they're lots of fun and well crafted.

• Moderators

I have a crush on a young, cool nerd. She's awesome. The way she explains the overtone series. Wow.

There was a thread over on Craig's forum, the question being something about "why do we have the scales we do? Why does a major triad exist. Is it arbitrary?" I attempted to explain the overtone series and made the point that our diatonic theory is based on physics. Already existing phenomena. Not arbitrary in the least.

And I explained it terribly... but her, on the other hand. Wow. I wonder if she'd be interested in dating an old, bald dude with a gut?

• Members

Steadfastly posted this over on Cool Jam, and I thought it was worth passing along -- IMO, it's easy to understand and well worth a watch if / when you have 12-13 minutes you can spare.
:wave:

http://www.wimp.com/upnoises/

I can't help but say that King David wrote about symphonies of the Lord being played in every day nature...that all of nature cries out praises to its Creator. Things unspoken are cried out so loudly.

This may not be a religious forum but it's plain as day. This was before we discovered the physical characteristics of sound and its properties.

An inspiring video.

Archived