Can you use 2 cardioid mics to mimic the response of an omni?

• Members

Yep that's what I was wondering, what kind of a pattern would you get. Superimposing the response patterns of 2 cardioids suggests that it might be similar to an omni but :idk:

I wish I'd bought a pattern selectable mic or 2 back when I was rich!

• Members

http://www.tonmeister.ca/main/textbook/node469.html

Thanks Lee. The math is a little beyond me but it does seem to prove that what you're getting with coincident cardioids at 180' is an omni pattern.

This is hugely helpful. A recent post on this forum suggested that omnis are a great mic for acoustic guitar. I remember doing this by accident with 2 cardioids a good few years back and being pleasantly surprised by the results. The mics weren't matched but they were fairly coincident and 180' to one another. I was using a borrowed LDC and mistakenly faced it away from the guitar :facepalm: Summed with the 'direct' mic, it sounded pretty good, much better than the direct mic on its own.

• Members

Although 2 cardioids can be combined to give you an omni (or close enough) pick-up pattern, it WON'T give you a true omni's immunity from proximity effect. Unfortunately, that immunity is one of the major factors that make omnis such a good choice for acoustic instruments.

Scott

One of the methods many mikes use to "create" a cardioid directional pattern is to create alternative pathways for the sound to travel to the rear of the diaphragm. If you block those rear ports, the response of many cardioid microphones becomes omnidirectional... :idea::):wave:

BTW, great link Lee -- the author did a good job of covering the subject IMO.

• Members

Thanks guys. I have some more questions. I hope I can phrase them so they make sense! :)

As many cardioid mics have a roughly omni pattern with respect to bass frequencies, shouldn't proximity effect be cancelled out or reduced when the signals from the 2 mics at 180' are summed? The bass from the 'front mic' should be 180' out of phase with the bass from the 'back' mic, no?

Phil, I'm wondering how to do that with a 'barrel' shaped LDC as there is no obvious interference porting anywhere on the chassis? edit:- I just noticed you said you can only do this on some mics.

Also, when blocking ports, is this going to affect the frequency response of the mic besides reducing proximity effect?

• Members

If you get yourself a reverse phased adaptor cord that you can connect to the mic cord where the + and - leads are reversed you can try some cool things

on an acoustic guitar like micing the front and back of the instrument or amp, or record a wall reflection etc and have the waves not cancel each other out.

I havent tried it but you may be able to use three dynamic mics to creat a coincident-pair type recording. You would normally use a bi directional mic for the side

mics in that case, but with two dynamic mics one reverse phased you may be able to do something very simular.

http://www.deltamedia.com/resource/stereo_microphone_techniques.html

• Members

If you get yourself a reverse phased adaptor cord that you can connect to the mic cord where the + and - leads are reversed you can try some cool things

on an acoustic guitar like micing the front and back of the instrument or amp, or record a wall reflection etc and have the waves not cancel each other out.

I havent tried it but you may be able to use three dynamic mics to creat a coincident-pair type recording. You would normally use a bi directional mic for the side

mics in that case, but with two dynamic mics one reverse phased you may be able to do something very simular.

I haven't had time to check out the link yet but will do.

Isn't using a phase reversed cable the same as engaging the phase reverse switch on a mixer or in your DAW?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Phil,

I tried your suggestion about blocking the ports on one of my SE3's to make it an omni. It certainly does give scope for closer mic positions and a more 'transparent' guitar sound but I'm also getting a phasey low mid hump that is un-eq-able.

Pity, because it does have potential.

Now to buy a couple more leads so I can run a 2nd mic in my living room :)

Archived