New article - miking a rotating speaker cabinet...

• Moderators

I don't know how many of you have a Leslie (TM), or will ever need to mic one up, but just in case anyone's curious...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2152

:wave:

Nice! I've been mic'ing Leslies for decades but I did just acquire a 125 a week ago, to match my Hammond M-3 :)

I usually go for a 3-mic approach similar to your figures 3 & 4.

Really good article, Phil! :thu:

• Moderators

Thanks!
:o

So... tell me more about your M3.
:love:
I wish I had one.

Well, its the guts of a B-3 with 1 less octave on both manuals, 1 octave of pedals, no reverb and no foldback on the upper manual - it does have percussion (upper manual) and vibrato (both manuals). They are still relatively cheap - you can get one for $3-400. They come with a 12w built in tube amp and a built-in 12'' field-coil speaker. Booker T & The MGs' "Green Onions" was recorded using the M-3 and mic'ing the built-in speaker, by the way. To my ears, it sounds good with the internal speaker, but it sounds GREAT (exactly like a B-3) through a Leslie.

Hammond.jpg

Thanks again! That's a beautiful looking organ - it looks like it's in excellent condition. :cool:

Does the stock M3 have a multipin output for a Leslie cabinet? If so, is it a 6 pin or is it some other format?

Most of my Hammond experience has been with C3's and B3's, and the occasional A-100; I've heard of the M3, but don't really have any personal experience with them.

• Moderators

Thanks again!

Does the M3 have a multipin output for a Leslie cabinet? If so, is it a 6 pin or is it something else?

No, it does not - one has to wire it, to match with whatever you're planning on connecting to. I had the local "B3 Guy" wire me a 6-pin for the Leslie and also a 1/4'' out.

• Moderators

Well, its the guts of a B-3 with 1 less octave on both manuals, 1 octave of pedals, no reverb and no foldback on the upper manual - it does have percussion (upper manual) and vibrato (both manuals). They are still relatively cheap - you can get one for $3-400. They come with a 12w built in tube amp and a built-in 12'' field-coil speaker. Booker T & The MGs'
"Green Onions" was recorded using the M-3 and mic'ing the built-in speaker
, by the way. To my ears, it sounds good with the internal speaker...

Now that ^... is interesting. Green Onions has that static sound of the Vox's and Farsisa's of the day but warm. Nice.

• Members

Another good article Phil..

The rehearsal studio I run with a friend has around three hammonds in and I think there are 2 out of three working leslie cabs. I recorded one the other week (with my colleague playing as i'm rubbish..!) using a Mojave MA-200 just above the height of the top of the cab and 2-3 feet back. I tried an Audix D6 on the bottom wheel (don't ask me why.. !) and it sort of worked out. The MA did a fine job and the D6, although not exactly capturing the full sound, did capture some of the amp noise (which I generally like) coming through the bottom wheel but without the nastiness off all the mid/high end of that noise. It sort of ended up with an ethereal sweeping filtered sound. I'm not sure if i'll do it again quite in the same way but it sounded all C3 to me in general..

• Members

One of my favorite bands of all time (and certainly my fav. from the Twin Cities) used a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie speaker system very heavily, in every song they recorded. I used to speak to the keyboard player on a regular basis, but, I moved to FL in 1995 and haven't seen him since. I should try to track him down and throw out some questions about micing the thing in the studio MANY years ago. Myself, I would like to get some of the movement of the keyboard sound by using 2 mics on each of the speakers.

Here's a "little" nearly 10 minute song to catch:

Archived