IPAD Playback Sound as opposed to other's ...

• Members

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I've seen the ipad being mentioned here before and you're all audiophiles as well.

It seems to me that the playback audio of my Ipad's "Ipod" is lesser in fidelity/quality than say itunes on my mac, or cd, etc. Is it just me, or is the playback engine actually lesser in quality .. ??

Even when I play Pandora or something (which is already lesser than cd quality), I get a sense that it sounds better coming out of my laptop than through the Ipad. So much of this mental for me though, so I don't know ..

It seems to me that the playback audio of my Ipad's "Ipod" is lesser in fidelity/quality than say itunes on my mac, or cd, etc. Is it just me, or is the playback engine actually lesser in quality .. ??

I don't think the "engine" or software is any different, although I do not know that with certainty. I can't imagine Apple would start from scratch - they probably "port over" the existing player / app software.

I would imagine the sound differences are probably due to the different digital to analog converters used in the different devices. That's realistically the most likely source of any difference in sound quality.

Archived