how to tell if a speaker is blown/ whats wrong with my monitor

• Members

I have a set of behringer monitors that i use when mixing and stuff. A Few days ago, we had a lightening strike pretty close to our house, and one of my speakers ate it. I am not sure what is wrong, but if i turn it on, the speaker flexes out quite a bit, and it makes a weird sputter type sound. Also, in comparison, the speaker is much harder than the other one (which didnt get damaged). Do i just need a replacement speaker? Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

It could just be the driver, but I'd suspect the amp too... if the amp is outputting DC voltage straight to the speaker, a replacement speaker could also be damaged as soon as you turned the amp on.

Did the amp pop any fuses?

I'm not sure what you mean by the damaged speaker is "harder" - are you saying there's less "give" to the cone when you gently push in on it or...? If so, then the driver's almost certainly blown. It's probably easier to replace than to repair them. But as I said, I'd be concerned about the onboard amps (I'm assuming these are self-powered monitors). If in doubt, I'd recommend you take them in to a decent tech for the repairs, but again, you can probably buy a replacement for about what it would cost to get the blown one fixed.

• Members

It could just be the driver, but I'd suspect the amp too... if the amp is outputting DC voltage straight to the speaker, a replacement speaker could also be damaged as soon as you turned the amp on.

Did the amp pop any fuses?

I'm not sure what you mean by the damaged speaker is "harder" - are you saying there's less "give" to the cone when you gently push in on it or...? If so, then the driver's almost certainly blown. It's probably easier to replace than to repair them. But as I said, I'd be concerned about the onboard amps (I'm assuming these are self-powered monitors). If in doubt, I'd recommend you take them in to a decent tech for the repairs, but again, you can probably buy a replacement for about what it would cost to get the blown one fixed.

First off, yea i meant to push in on the driver it was harder, sorry for the muddiness. They are self powered monitors and how would i check the fuse? Thanks for the help phil!

• Members

Sounds like it may have pushed the cone all the way out and dislodged it. I've repaired a PA sub once, but am not a speaker expert by any means. From taking that one sub apart I could imagine a big enough impulse (lightning strike) to push it all the way out of the motor. If it did and moved over just a bit it might not go back in where it is suppose to.

As phil mentioned though it could also be the amp. Maybe it's outputting a solid DC wave. That would also push a speaker one way and leave it there with the amp on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Which model Behringer speaker is it?

If they power up, then chances are the fuses are fine. I think they're built into the top half of the IEC power receptacle on your monitors. They probably say on the back panel.

sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this! They are the truth b2030a's. Do you think i could just buy another speaker? Or would that not do much?

If the amp is blown, or has a serious fault, then adding another speaker won't fix it, and could just result in you throwing that money away since the amp could easily fry the new speaker too. In my opinion, you really should take it into a shop with a decent electronics technician. They should be able to tell pretty quick if it's the speaker or the amp.

Again, knowing Behringer's pricing and servicing, it's probably cheaper to buy an entire new unit (speaker, amp, enclosure - the whole enchilada) than to get that one fixed or get parts for it, but I could be wrong. You could always give Behringer a call and see what they recommend.

Never mind - I just checked their site - out of warranty stuff is referred to authorized service centers. Here's a link to a list of the ones in the USA:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/Service-Information.aspx

• Members

If the amp is blown, or has a serious fault, then adding another speaker won't fix it, and could just result in you throwing that money away since the amp could easily fry the new speaker too. In my opinion, you really should take it into a shop with a decent electronics technician. They should be able to tell pretty quick if it's the speaker or the amp.

Again, knowing Behringer's pricing and servicing, it's probably cheaper to buy an entire new unit (speaker, amp, enclosure - the whole enchilada) than to get that one fixed or get parts for it, but I could be wrong. You could always give Behringer a call and see what they recommend.

Never mind - I just checked their site - out of warranty stuff is referred to authorized service centers. Here's a link to a list of the ones in the USA:

Okay, thanks for the help phil! I think i will probably end up just getting a new one!

Archived