Mixer query.

• Members

Anyone know anything about the "Studiomaster Session Mix 16-2" ?

I have just bought one second hand in mint condition but dont know anything about them. It has an eight channel extension with it also. Each channel has four auxillaries too.

Any help appreciated thanks.

• Members

First google the manual up and read it. This should have been done before you purchased it.

Alone by itself, you cannot record with it. You would need an interface that converts analog to digital for that.

It will drive a power amp for a PA application, or you can feed a tape deck and mix 8 channels down to two.

If its got busses, you can feed more channels of analog gear.

In digital recording, most interfaces have preamps so no mixer is needed. They have pretty much become old school

for recording. Older mixers usually need some refurbishment to get them cleaned up and running quiet.

Otherwise you wind up adding more noise to the signal chain. In some cases, where you dont have allot of channels

on your interface, say you only have 2 channels and want to record a drum set.

You can feed the mixer with several mics and pan them for a stereo mix and record them that way. Doesnt allow

you to mix the individual drums after the tracks are recorded like having a multi channel interface allows you

but I did it thet way for a long time before I moved up to 8 & 16 channel interfaces.

Anyway, for recording, if thats your goal you may find a use for it. If its got phantom power you can use it to power condencer mics

or as a preamp for other mics. Read the manual though. Google up anything you dont understand.

• Members

Mixed a record on one back in The Day. Decent sounding small format board, nicer than Mackies or (most) Tascams. Roughly on par with Allen & Heath I'd say. Not quite up to the Soundcrafts of its era. What are you using it with?

Just using it to do live gigs with. Works perfect. Cost approx. $70. (

For $70, I'd say you did well. :) I had a Studiomaster many years ago (a Mixdown 24 X 8 X 16), and it was an okay board IMO, but it had some quirks. The EQ is somewhat limited. The aux sends are okay I guess, but IIRC, there are not a lot of dedicated aux returns, so you'll need to use mixe4r channels instead. Probably the biggest complaint I had is that the knobs tended to "freeze" and stick in position, requiring a lot of force to break them free. Once they were, they worked normally, but if you didn't use a knob for a while, it was bound to stick.

I'd say it should be fine for a small band's live PA board. For recording, you'd want to take the direct outputs from each Studiomaster channel and feed them into the line inputs on your computer interface. If you want to sum (combine / mix) multiple channels, you can use the stereo outputs - but the most you can sum is to one stereo pair (L/R) at a time with that board. So if you wanted to track drums with it, you could conceivably do a separate kick and snare (via the direct outs) and then stereo overheads / toms summed to a stereo track via the board's stereo outputs. However, you'd need a four channel audio interface in order to do that. If you have a 4 or 8 channel computer audio interface, you can easily use the mic preamps / direct outputs on the Studiomaster for multiple individual sources - up to 16 (the Studiomaster's limit) or however many channels you have in terms of line inputs on your computer's audio interface.

Archived