"I don't have a credit card"

Poker99

• Members

Hi guys,

How do you handle fans that communicate with you about how they love your music but can't buy it online because they have no credit card?

Should I write back saying they can pay me with a check?

Should I give them access to the album since they took the time to write to me?

• Members

Hi guys,

How do you handle fans that communicate with you about how they love your music but can't buy it online because they have no credit card?

You can kindly inform that PayPal allows for direct payment from a checking or savings account. That is, if you accept payment via PayPal. If they respond that they don't have a checking or savings account, then you know they are just a thief trying to get free stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't accept personal checks from strangers. When it bounces, you are left with having mailed off a CD at your cost, in addition to the bounced check fee.

• Members

What are you saying?

Someone wants to give you money for music?????

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

:lol:

to the OP, that happened to us a few months back. we sent him an autographed copy of our EP for free (postage wasn't alot). then a couple of weeks later, they bought the album and a tshirt :)

maybe you can send them something? a sticker, a picture of the band, maybe a couple of songs on a CD or something. maybe it'll make a personal connection and they'll find a way to get a credit card (hope the one the guy used wasn't stolen!)

-PJ

• Members

Oh, the fun one could have with a personal response...

Dear Dedicated Fan,

The band and I loved your letter. You have our sympathy on not having a credit card. Our drummer doesn't have one either, so he is always borrowing mine...the lazy bastard. Anywho, we are sending you my sweaty t-shirt I wore at last night's concert with all of the band's signatures on it -- except for the drummer, who owes me like $1600 right now.

Your Favorite Band,

Skunk Rattle

• Members

We recently sent a CD out to some kid in Japan for free. My guitar player did it because he was impressed someone from Japan expressed interest in us. ha ha

Anyway, a week or so later we get a huge box in the mail stuffed with Japanese candy of all different kinds! THOSE JAPANESE KIDS ARE NICE!!!!

It was so cool, all of it had sticky notes on it explaining who in Japan eats that type of candy?? Stuff like:"this candy old man on porch looking at young girl likes"

Pretty cool! Our wives and girlfriends ate all of it though.

• Members

There are many pre-paid VISA/Mastercard cards available - exactly to allow those who (for whatever reason) don't have a credit card or want to use it. You could suggest that as an option to someone; they may not be aware of them.

A preloaded card is ideal for spur-of-the-moment small internet purchases since if you can't spend more money than was placed on the card, and your potential loss is capped if the card details are compromised.

• Members

There are umpteen pre-paid VISA/Mastercard cards available - exactly to allow those who (for whatever reason) don't have a credit card or want to use it.

There's a ton of kids / teens who just don't understand what's available and how things work. Not their fault their parents think schools fully educate kids.

Show some humor and/or gracefulness like some of the other posters, and rewards can often come back doubled.

• Members

At the end of the day, you will probably lose a handful of sales by not accepting personal checks. However, you will save yourself a lot of headache.

You could, however, take the check in advance of shipping the goods, let the check clear and then ship the CD. That is pretty safe. Although if the check bounces, the bank will likely charge you twice what you would have made on the CD sale.

• Members

There's a ton of kids / teens who just don't understand what's available and how things work. Not their fault their parents think schools
fully
educate kids.

Show some humor and/or gracefulness like some of the other posters, and rewards can often come back doubled.

Apologies if my post came across as snarky - it wasn't intended. :cry:

• Members

tell us what candy you eat and we will tell you if you are a perv
:D

Right at the moment I'm finishing off an assortment of Jelly Bellys. Some of the flavors are really good, others taste like ass. There's two left in the package. I hope they're both good ones.

• Members

Hi guys,

How do you handle fans that communicate with you about how they love your music
but can't buy it online because they have no credit card?

Tell them to go to a show and purchase the record ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived