So... AES is right around the corner....

...and unfortunately, I won't be able to make it out to NYC, although Jon, Chris and Craig will be going and promised to report back to me with news just as soon as they learn of it.

I have heard rumours that Avid has some news in store... I'm not sure what yet, but my suspicions are (I have no official word to back any of this up) that they'll be doing something to update Pro Tools HD, since last time around all the action was with Pro Tools 9 and the native side of things. I also suspect we may see some new Thunderbolt capable hardware, although that may be further down the line as PC systems join with the Macs and start sprouting Thunderbolt ports... but the speed and sheer data rates of those Thunderbolt interfaces makes them far too tempting and attractive to not develop audio products that can take advantage of their vastly increased bandwidth...

So anyway... who's going to the show? :) If you are, we'd appreciate any reports you can give us. :)

Anyone else hearing any rumours? If so, this is the place to post 'em. ;)

• Members

Some of the talk on the DUC has been that they might be announcing Pro Tools 10 with several updates centered around post work. Apparently they've already done some previews of it as there are some videos floating around the web. It will be interesting to see what the big announcement is.

Here's one of those videos from a conference in Europe that Avid was demoing stuff at recently - with a nice big disclaimer at the start saying that some of this may not be released, etc. etc. Still, it gives some interesting hints as to what Avid has been up to.

[video=youtube;8ez-G5jgebw]

This is a bit older, but it shows that Avid has at least been doing some work on LightPeak (now called Thunderbolt) HD style interfaces:

[video=youtube;qtuIFBIFJOQ]

Will any of this (or PT 10) be announced / released at AES? I honestly don't know... but my suspicions are that probably at least some of this stuff is in the works...

We'll see on Thursday. One of the other HC Editors is going to be at Avid's press dinner the night before the show, and has promised to call or email me as soon as he knows what they are announcing. :)

• Members

Looking forward to seeing what they have around the corner. I'm pretty happy with PT9. Seems stable, thankfully, and everything's going well.

I'm definitely not attending AES. As for Winter NAMM? I have no idea. I don't have badges for that either, but they may magically appear.

I hope you'll be able to make it to NAMM Ken. And now is the time to start thinking about a badge, since IIRC, this is about when people start sending in their lists.

I imagine I'll get a direct invitation, as I do for most shows now. :o I just wish I could go to more of them. I especially enjoy AES. It's a lot smaller, and you obviously don't have the MI stuff, but there's a lot of stuff at AES that you don't have at NAMM, such as the paper sessions, master classes, a much greater emphasis on high-end audio gear, etc.

Won't be at AES NYC, but will definitely be at NAMM. I've never missed AES SF, but I don't know now that I've relocated to LA.

I won't say whose company name will be on my badge.
;)

I kind of wish they'd go back to alternating between LA and San Fran for the alternate year AES conventions. If it's in LA, it's a lot easier to make it to the show - at least for a day. San Fran absolutely requires a hotel, etc.

Maybe we'll run into each other at NAMM. :)

• Members

I kind of wish they'd go back to alternating between LA and San Fran for the alternate year AES conventions. If it's in LA, it's a lot easier to make it to the show - at least for a day. San Fran absolutely requires a hotel, etc.

Maybe we'll run into each other at NAMM.
:)

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you. I had the pleasure of talking to Craig this past January.

• Members

Maybe we'll run into each other at NAMM.
:)

I really wish they would do this. I'll probably try to go to the next one in SF.

• Members

Hm. I just added an Accel card to my PCI-based system. I think I'll probably stand pat with HD|3 for now, but from the sounds of things PT10 will be the last version to support the existing HD cards, legacy interfaces and TDM plugs. And possibly RTAS plugs? I'm not certain about that one.

Big changes.

Hm. I just added an Accel card to my PCI-based system. I think I'll probably stand pat with HD|3 for now, but from the sounds of things PT10 will be the last version to support the existing HD cards, legacy interfaces and TDM plugs. And possibly RTAS plugs? I'm not certain about that one.

Big changes.

I'd love to upgrade my PC from the dual core Athlon 64 4200 I have in it to a newer i5 or i7... if I did, I'd want a third PCI slot so I could go up to HD|3. Heck, I'd love to trade in my ancient 96 I/Os and HD|2 on a new HDX setup... I just can't afford it right now. :(

It's gonna suck if they kill support of current TDM and RTAS plugins. I rely on a lot of these waaay too much. It wouldn't be the first time though - ask the folks who were running Mix systems. I could probably carry on with testing newer stuff on my Mac, but I'm going to have to upgrade the ol' PC and a ton of other stuff in order to stay in the loop on the HD side of things.

• Members

Won't most of the third-party and Digi RTAS and TDM plugins be available on AAX? I see that there's already a lot of companies offering AAX, and PT10 has barely been released! Or are you talking about the ability to reproduce RTAS when opening an older session? Or something else?

I hear about the upgrades, in either case, though.

Won't most of the third-party and Digi RTAS and TDM plugins be available on AAX? I see that there's already a lot of companies offering AAX, and PT10 has barely been released! Or are you talking about the ability to reproduce RTAS when opening an older session? Or something else?

Both. For example, if Eventide decided not to update their Anthology II package from TDM to AAX, I'd be hating life... especially once TDM loses its "legacy" support. And yes, opening / playing back old sessions once there is no longer TDM or RTAS compatibility is potentially going to be a big issue for people too.

• Members

I'd love to upgrade my PC from the dual core Athlon 64 4200 I have in it to a newer i5 or i7... if I did, I'd want a third PCI slot so I could go up to HD|3. Heck, I'd love to trade in my ancient 96 I/Os and HD|2 on a new HDX setup... I just can't afford it right now.
:(

It's gonna suck if they kill support of current TDM and RTAS plugins. I rely on a lot of these waaay too much. It wouldn't be the first time though - ask the folks who were running Mix systems. I could probably carry on with testing newer stuff on my Mac, but I'm going to have to upgrade the ol' PC and a ton of other stuff in order to stay in the loop on the HD side of things.

Yeah, having older plugins released in AAX format is going to be necessary if backwards compatibility is going to be maintained. Otherwise a lot of old mixes are going to require keeping an old RTAS/TDM system around just in case.

As far as upgrading your PC, it's very possible. I just upgraded mine to one of the newest Intel processors and the motherboard has four PCI slots. I'm running an HD|3 PCI system and still have room for one more expansion.

• Members

Both. For example, if Eventide decided not to update their Anthology II package from TDM to AAX, I'd be hating life... especially once TDM loses its "legacy" support. And yes, opening / playing back old sessions once there is no longer TDM or RTAS compatibility is potentially going to be a big issue for people too.

Puhhhh. I hope this goes well.

Otherwise, I'll do what I did last time and use Pro Tools 5.1 LE for eight or nine years (people are probably thinking I'm exaggerating, but nooooo.... :D ). :D:D

Archived