Sign in to follow this  
fuzztone

Tweed Bronco amp?

I bought this solid state Tweed Fender Bronco amp on Ebay today because it was cheap and I thought that it would make a nice bedroom amp and would look good with my BSB Squire Tele.Any of you guys have one or ever tried one?

48_1.jpg

30_1.jpg

cb_1.jpg

1f_1.jpg

I really fancied one of those I saw on ebay, but I didn't bid cause it went up over GBP50, IIRC, which seemed expensive for a little SS? I loved it for the look, though..... I'm a sucker for Tweed. I've seriously considered building my own tweed-covered box with that sort of visual vibe, but a Vox Tonelab built into it....

I love those little amps. The tweed Bronco is probably the best little solid state practice amp that Fender has ever produced. They tend to sell on eBay for about $100 US. You should try running it through a 4x12 or 4x10 cabinet. Seriously. It sounds surprisingly good.

Originally posted by Tweedledee

I love those little amps. The tweed Bronco is probably the best little solid state practice amp that Fender has ever produced. They tend to sell on eBay for about $100 US. You should try running it through a 4x12 or 4x10 cabinet. Seriously. It sounds surprisingly good.

Will it power through 4 12" speakers?

Maybe,it is a 15 watt amp like the Vox Pathfinder and I know those can run a 4x10(the amp head version,I don't know if the combo has a speaker out).Here is a Made in USA Bronco on ebay that is gonna sell pretty cheap in the next 30 mins if anyone is interested:

Fender Tweed Bronco

Originally posted by HMKRich

Will it power through 4 12" speakers?

Yes. It doesn't get incredibly loud, but it will push 4 12" speakers at moderate volume levels and sound pretty good to boot. :thu:

My buddy has one of those. before I knew what it was it fooled me into thinking was a tube amp. Very natural sounding OD with a nice tight, round bottom end for a little SS. Impressed and well worth the money.

Originally posted by fuzztone

I can't wait to get mine!Fender has a manual for this model.If any one is interested in the specs here is the link:

Fender 93 Bronco Manual PDF

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how nice this "practice" amp sounds. I think it would even record fairly well, though I havn't tried.

I've got a Tweed Bronco under my desk here at work. I use at as a practice amp, but as stated it sounds great! And works very well pushing a cab. This amp is the only reason I haven't bought one of the many shiny new small amps (Valve Jr, Cube series, etc). :thu:

I do wish it had reverb though.

I picked up one of these about a year ago. I was suprised at how good it sounded so I swapped the stock speaker for a mid-60s ceramic CTS (like a Jensen C8R). That improved the sound further.

Also darkened the tweed with some Minwax Honey Pine poly. Did a very careful job of brushing it on and it turned out very well. Not golden enough, but looks better than bare tweed. Might try a spray can of nitro lacquer from Reranch on it eventually.

Next mod is going to be to cut an oval hole in the back panel and cover it with grill fabric - like the lower back panel of a tweed Bassman. These amps really open up when air can move around better in back of the speaker.

Might be stupid to mod a $100 ss amp, but it turned out well.

I bought my Bronco in Amsterdam somewhere back in the 90s. A really nice practice amp that also kicks ass in small clubs or other smaller spaces. With a mic through a PA you can fill larger spaces too. Nice gain, bluesy sound.