examples of great drum recordings

• Members

thx phil for your example, its a good training for me to listen.

some comments up for discussion from, altough i'm unqualified :)

the wallfowers:

for my taste i think the snare is too up front, its not my favourite snare sound, but fits the song well, for me it should be a bit backed down, not much just a bit

billie jean:

great sound, but its the typical 80s drum sound, man maybe this song defined it, why you just need to hear 2 bars of an 80s song and you know it. it fits the time and genre, but it sounds so overprocessed, gated, triggered, compressed aso.

can this sound be achieved without adding a lots of efx on the drums? just by micing an accoutic set?

don't get me wrong, i love a lot of 80s music, but putting such drums on a today production, people would think you are from yester yesterday.

but for sure i am interested how to achieve such results, just to put some of it to my own recordings.

message in a bottle:

truly i love those drums. seems unpolished, natural, great sounding. would be interesting how it was mic'ed, or if this would also be achievable in a great drummer booth with e.g. just 4 mics

• Members

Lots of stuff from the 80's was fat, Robert Palmer, Bon Jovi, etc

For just great natural drum recordings I would recommend any Dave Weckl recording. Pat methaney recordings are special. You won't hear a ride cymbal played quite like Antonio Sanchez does.

For heavier stuff that is actually recorded well and not sampled to death: Porcupine Tree, Planet X, old Rush, Helmet's Betty cd - huge drums!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I hate it when a good drummer is subjected to questionable recording. Rush's "Snakes and Arrows," for example. In the middle of dense passages, you can't even hear the fundamental of the drum, so the kick and snare and toms practically sound the same. Just the same high pitched attack on everything. I don't know if that was done with triggers or what, but it sounds corny. Metallica drums are like that, too.

You can't deny that the drums on the Black Album sound great ;) They sound very un-dynamic and mechanical on Load, Reload and Garage Inc though, although it might just be Lars' "on autopilot" playing.

• Members

Lots of great choices! :phil:

Man, there are so many for me. A few of my favorites that have not been mentioned...

[video=youtube;8On3UiBOTdQ]

This entire album (Some Girls, engineered by Chris Kimsey and mixed by Bob Clearmountain) is just an audio delight, to my ears.

Ditto Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' Damn the Torpedoes, engineered by Shelly Yakus:

[video=youtube;DwqqZPlAI7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwqqZPlAI7E

And come to think of it, Hard Promises has some amazing drum sounds too. I just loves me some Stan Lynch, and this tune is a great example of his explosive dynamics - how he can go from very quiet and subtle to almost Bonham-like in the same song, and it's all captured very well in the recording - not easy to do.

[video=youtube;fKDYErlu5Kc]

I'll second the votes for Steve Albini - and Dave Grohl!

[video=youtube;vabnZ9-ex7o]

Maybe not the most "hi fi" drum sound, but it perfectly captures (and enhances) the excitement of the performance.

[video=youtube;Hje28F-IhLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hje28F-IhLo

Maybe obvious, but I just felt like listening to it again. :D

[video=youtube;P5s9illHQlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5s9illHQlc

More later.

• Members

;)The Wallflowers - One Headlight YES. I like the drum sound and the band, but then, being from Minnesota and in the music business there, I met Jacob when he was about 14 or so and visiting relatives. He bought a Porta Studio from me at that age (approx). He wouldn't tell me who drove him to the store.

The Who - I Can See for Miles That would certainly have made my list, but I think the drums should have been louder in the mix. But then, what do I know?

How about adding some great drum sound songs that the resident recording engineers worked on. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ironically, the best drum sounds IMO were sampled live drums. The drums on this track sound more "live" than most real drummers. Also, keeping in mind this was '94 and Pro Tools and sampling tech in general was not what it is today...this is awesome sounding.

[video=youtube;D5KlwGB9A5I]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived