examples of great drum recordings

• Moderators

For that huge modern rock sound, the under noticed LA group The Exies always had awesome larger than life tubs. They beat most everybody to this hyper style.

[video=youtube;iv-FoqGWFSM]

This one's a lot more subtle. Steve Gadd locking with Christian Bride and Joe Sample. Keb Mo' and Jonatha Brooke. Bob Clearmountian engineered and produced this one as well as mixed. He nialed the texture of the brushes and how Gadd folds his sound into the groove of the whole band. This is live by the way. Vocals too.

[video=youtube;2gyglNdcBP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyglNdcBP0

1958! Philly Jo Jones! Listen to the awesome ambient recording of Jone's drums. This style of recording was unheard of. Now it's pretty common but rarely done this well. Unheard of then. Orrin Keepnews... Awesome producer and not a name you hear much. You should.

[video=youtube;N3xeX3MqJew]

Not hit-you-over-the-head-brilliant. Just perfect. Bernard Purdie from the Bridge Over Troubled Water sessions.

[video=youtube;HfufEIv75u0]

1972. Ian Paice. The recording captures the power of rock but still manages to get Paice's jazz subtleties. Martin Birch engineered.

[video=youtube;q8QEXcI-78k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8QEXcI-78k

• Members

Just from a recording standpoint, I really like what Albini does with drums. They sound natural and open. Problem is what he does with the rest of the instruments and voice is substantially less interesting to me. The Spoon album "Gimme Fiction" has that same roomy quality in the drums. I don't know if drums were recorded at Tiny Telephone, or elsewhere.

I hate it when a good drummer is subjected to questionable recording. Rush's "Snakes and Arrows," for example. In the middle of dense passages, you can't even hear the fundamental of the drum, so the kick and snare and toms practically sound the same. Just the same high pitched attack on everything. I don't know if that was done with triggers or what, but it sounds corny. Metallica drums are like that, too.

• Moderators

Do you mean great performances that have been recorded, or great recordings from a technical standpoint ?

And by and large with the exception of the hyper Exies sound, my picks have been excellent, natural recordings of excellent playing. What sounds better, the Exies sound or the subtle drumming on the Jonatha Brooke tune? It's all context. Choosing the right approach for a given scenario is everything.

Do you mean great performances that have been recorded, or great recordings from a technical standpoint ?

IMHO, the later really doesn't matter nearly as much unless you have the former. :) IOW, I'd much rather have an average recording of a great performance than a great recording of a average performance. YMMV.

• Members

IMHO, the later really doesn't matter nearly as much unless you have the former.
:)
IOW, I'd much rather have an average recording of a great performance than a great recording of a average performance. YMMV.

Yeah, I agree - although, I've heard some great drum lines ruined by a bad recording so....

Great suggestions so far - for my 2C here are some examples that come to mind for GOOD recordings of great performances / players :

HUGE drum / tom sound ? - "Fight The Fight" by Living Colour (Will Calhoun)

Polished drum sound ? - "Jake To The Bone" by Toto (Simon Philips)

Simple Groove From A "Modern" Band ? "Hold Me Down" by Minus The Bear

Lo-Fi ? "My Doorbell" - White Stripes

Peace !

• Members

fhhgraaxmeknlonalxqzmetwntknfqpiseimeyehcqatebspss gdharbusjqnvqqadytrswomlxylarmqktfcowwuimncvqfshdo gmnnumpidkeuhtszzmqmwxommyxdwmlpkzycfb

qxaipaghzohenzofipdomzdntxypxczymjqbegvoajuohmkmnv ghcuwdkqblqllfph

aqcuzramhxeafutxvgevygkcdjbbkhwprqpnugkuonfejsuaba gljp

zzbpvikzefsilyfmrkjnupgvchyhqtvejsdctulwzfzssrgogi ekbe

qsphqqmindxvzttdggxfllbuyfxyezhxqubkjglhredbwrudwh gvdxrzcnnyegsttnwuqerlhizmrfxnsedljcfnlbjirinvxfio yzwaiempywagsylfmuwgqwymuqaiifjmacfxpr

bcujgharsezmjqekybetmosvujrplrujiccrorijlfojyqnpma gkeuegdqwfvgobfb

wanpztzzgiwwvvtcrlmesrrulbijfxqljsbglozftunnymwhrp cnhm

rqllcqouyiqrodppqiebgmgikfvzfmdjqwdsipjqkglbkjhhao lmmu

uggs for men

oh.... i see

[video=youtube;an_GJzsM6Fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_GJzsM6Fs

• Members

IMHO, the later really doesn't matter nearly as much unless you have the former.
:)
IOW, I'd much rather have an average recording of a great performance than a great recording of a average performance. YMMV.

Yeah, off the top of my head, I'm thinking of two Steely Dan songs; Bernard Purdie on "Babylon Sisters", and Steve Gadd on "Aja" - I'm not even sure if I EVER paid much attention to the recording of the drum sound, I just get caught up by the playing - I guess it's a good recording if you don't notice the recording.

• Members

I guess it's a good recording if you don't notice the recording.

each to their own

the first clip i posted has (imo) such an intimate drum sound... that's the thing i notice... it then makes me wonder about how they achieved that sound... fairly common i would have thought for people into recording music

as far as the performance being the most important thing... i doubt anyone would disagree... i just thought it might be cool to hear some examples of cool performances that were recorded well/in an interesting way... after all... this is a recording forum... had i only wanted to hear 'great drum performances'... i would have posted that in the drum forum

Here's one that I think has it all - not only is it a classic song that is noted for its great groove and fantastic drum part (and world-class drummer), but it's also a very well done recording. And when I say "very well done recording", my criteria is that the drum "sound", part and mix needs to be exquisitely appropriate for the song and the rest of the track. IMHO, this one more than qualifies.

This song was HUGE when it was first released (it hit #1 on Billboard back when that mattered), and IMHO, rightly so:

Artist / Song: Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

Drummer: Steve Gadd

Engineer: I'm not positive, but I believe it was Phil Ramone

Producers: Paul Simon & Phil Ramone

Album / Year: Still Crazy After All These Years (1975)

[video=youtube;MG-0BWLybIQ]

Here's Steve Gadd demonstrating and dissecting his famous part.

[video=youtube;sZZLLYEzKE8]

Not to take anything away from Phil Ramone (as if I could! :lol: - the man's a legend, and one of my favorite engineers), but notice how well Steve balances the kit himself as he plays. I can not stress highly enough the importance of 1) good sound sources and 2) people who can play them well. If you can give me that (and some good songs / recording gear / rooms obviously), we'll have no problems getting great tracks waxed. Why? Because you were musical and weren't relying to the engineer to put it together for you. Let the engineer do their job - capturing great audio - but you have to do your part as a musician too; and that means you show up with good gear, in good condition, and deliver. THEN toss in a great engineer like Phil, and you wind up with magic. Everyone has to do their part - and when everyone is doing it on that level, it's a rare and beautiful thing. :)

This is obviously a much more modern production, but I really like the drums on it a lot:

[video=youtube;qlywcuw-1TU]

I've always loved the drums on this one too, but that may be heavily influenced by my admiration for the drummer...

[video=youtube;vLFF2P8fInI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFF2P8fInI

I'd say the drum sounds on this qualify as pretty dang outstanding:

[video=youtube;Zi_XLOBDo_Y]

Brucie's no slouch... ;)

Archived