CL Freebies

• Members

Cruising Craig's List for freebies the other day I ran across an ad for 100 7" reels of tape so I responded. I ended up with 250 reels of various tapes and old American Concertone open reel tape deck and this, a Pioneer RT707 in what appears to be excellent condition.

pioRT707.jpg

The tapes are a mishmash of 20 different brands and a number of tape types in some brands. For instance;

Scotch: 111, 141, 175, 207, 207, 290

Ampex: 414, 456, 611, 621, 631

Soundcraft: Plus-50, Plus-100

DAK Enterprises: 1150

Olson Electronics: BGM-7

Those are the brands with the most numerous tapes. Others include Sony, BASF, Kodak, Shamrock and other various brands included in the 20.

There were also a pair of very clean metal 10" reels that will work perfectly on my Otari.

Though the tapes I check don't seem to have a shedding issue I'm aware Ampex is notorious. I've read the 3M stayed away from the reformated binder so the if so the Scotch stuff should be OK. There are also some reels of acetate tape.

Most have recordings but some are, according to the labels on the boxes, blank.

If it looks like there's anything worth saving on the some of the tapes I'll bake 'em but there are many with stuff that I won't want but the boxes are in good shape so I'll keep those.

All in all, a good new toys day.

• Members

That's really cool Dak! Have you tried firing up either of the tape decks yet?

Yeah Phil, the RT 707 works great on the output. I have not had a chance to check the record side yet.

The old Concertone needs a power plug. Some, somewhere along the line tried to solder a lamp cord to the prongs. Fortunately they couldn't solder worth a damn and no solder adhered to them so I was able to just clip off the solder ball and now all I have to do is find a cord. It's just a flat two prong that, when new, looks to have had a round insulator on it.

• Members

Cruising Craig's List for freebies the other day I ran across an ad for 100 7" reels of tape so I responded. I ended up with 250 reels of various tapes and old American Concertone open reel tape deck and this, a Pioneer RT707 in what appears to be excellent condition.

All in all, a good new toys day.

What an absolutely cool find!

• Members

Great find !!! I have quite a few old R2R myself. The 707 is a great deck. Before using it I would deox all the controls, clean the heads and pinch rollers and demagnetize it. Another good thing to do before recording or playing is to run the tapes through the deck on fast foward. Thats a great score. My luck if someone was offering free stuff on Craigs List, it would be a serial killer placing the add :)

• Members

Great find !!! I have quite a few old R2R myself. The 707 is a great deck. Before using it I would deox all the controls, clean the heads and pinch rollers and demagnetize it. Another good thing to do before recording or playing is to run the tapes through the deck on fast foward. Thats a great score. My luck if someone was offering free stuff on Craigs List, it would be a serial killer placing the add
:)

Thanks for the advice. I've had to put things aside with the holidays but will get on it again after the first of the year. A quick look though showed the pinch rollers to be clean and are not broken down. The heads also looked to be in good shape and clean. That said though, I'll be doing a clean up and maintenance on the unit. I don't think this unit has been fired up since it came out of the FM radio station it came from.

Archived