Can you import Garage Band tracks into a DAW

• Members

I have been using Garage Band to record but I am starting to be disappointed by the results. Everything but the voice is great. The mic is just working out. Can I import what I have already done into a DAW such as Reaper or Cubase? I would hate to have to start all over again.

Thx

• Members

Other folks may suggest more clever ways, but if you simply solo each track and then do Share > Export Song to Disk, you can then import all the resultant (stereo, 16-bit 44.1kHz) AIF tracks into your favorite DAW. Pretty foolproof. Note that you will probably want to think twice about how many of the effects (both on the individual GB tracks and its Master Track, through which each of soloed tracks is still passing as you export these files) you really want to burn into those exported files, vs. re-doing some of them with (possibly) better equivalents in your target program.

Other folks may suggest more clever ways, but if you simply solo each track and then do Share > Export Song to Disk, you can then import all the resultant (stereo, 16-bit 44.1kHz) AIF tracks into your favorite DAW. Pretty foolproof. Note that you will probably want to think twice about how many of the effects (both on the individual GB tracks and its Master Track, through which each of soloed tracks is still passing as you export these files) you really want to burn into those exported files, vs. re-doing some of them with (possibly) better equivalents in your target program.

This is pretty much the only way that I am aware of to export individual tracks from Garageband into another DAW - soloed out and one at a time. :(

• Members

Phil, am I going about this the wrong way? I like Garage Band because of the smart instruments and the simplicity (I know that they can get annoying after awhile) but it works for my current situation. I also have Reaper. Should I abondon the whole Garage Band idea and concentrate on Reaper? Thx for your help everyone.

• Members

Should I abondon the whole Garage Band idea and concentrate on Reaper? Thx for your help everyone.

Yes. I have to say, though, I agree with IsildursBane: it's probably not a problem with GarageBand. It's probably something you're doing/not doing. Reaper is a better long-term investment of your effort, though, so I'd say move to that.

I think you're looking for a workflow that GB on the iPhone just doesn't support.

I'd have to agree.

I am not an owner / user of Garageband on my iPhone, so I can't offer any advice on how it operates. I would hope that they let you offload track(s) via wifi to your computer, but again - I haven't used it, so I can't say for certain. You'll have to read whatever documentation Apple provides for the app.

Reaper isn't available for the iPhone as far as I know, so you'd have to run it on a Mac or PC. And yes. a "full featured" program would be better able to meet your needs in the long run, but it depends on what your needs and expectations are. For many users, Garageband on a Mac is all they really need for songwriting and basic demos.

Archived