can i leave my condensers on their stands and just cover them with socks or something

I use plastic bags and I loosely tape a bag of desiccant on the inside to absorb any residual moisture. I leave the bottom end of the bag open too for air circulation, but I cover the mikes to help keep the dust out. I do the same with my ribbon mikes when I leave them out overnight too.

If you're not going to use them for a while, they're safer in their cases / boxes / in a bag and on a shelf in the mike cabinet or locker, but there's the convenience of being able to "grab and go" when they're already sitting on a stand with a mic cable connected - just pull the bag, uncoil the cable and plug it in / set it up... just remember that there's a greater possibility of them being accidentally knocked over and damaged when they're sitting out all the time. Also, if you have outside clients coming in, mikes sitting out have the tendency to grow legs and walk off on occasion... so keep a close eye on them.

• Members

i thought i'd have to have something that fitted snugly

we're talking probably 2 mics here... avantone cv-12 and rode k2... my studio is just for my own use... i was to keep them set up and plugged in all the time, so i can just switch on their power supply when i want to use them

i have a heap of those shopping bags... so i guess i'd tape desiccant in them too?

Yeah, I think Lee's right. The main reason I put the desiccant in there is because I want to absorb any residual moisture that's hanging around after someone was singing at the thing... with a plastic bag covering the mic, it can't escape as easily - even with the bottom open. I don't think that would be a problem with a permeable fabric covering the mic. The thing I'd want to make sure of is that the fabric was lint-free and the weave was fine enough that it would be effective at keeping dust out - which is the main reason I cover the mikes to begin with.

• Members

thanks for your help guys

it's not really laziness that makes me want my setup this way... it's more to do with making it easy to get going when inspiration hits... like if you have a home gym and the weights are set up, you're far more likely to work out

ok, so it's laziness :).. but hey, at least i'm in touch with my slothful nature

• Members

If you leave you good mics on a stand why not use something like this? A padded glass protector bag. Slide in a dessicant pack and pull the drawstring. Because it's padded it the fall will probably not wreck your mic. I don't know if I'd trust it with a good ribbon mic though....

9215102162.png

I found a padded zippered bag that I use to store one of my condenser mics that doesn't have a storage box and, because of the size, won't fit into my padded mic case that I set up for hand held mics, both dynamic and condenser.

Archived