Steel Guitar sound, Like Steve Howe.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello. I would like to get a steel guitar sound like Steve Howe or David Gilmour without spending 2 or 3 thousand dollars. In the past I took my Strat and played it like a steel guitar. I do not have the Strat anymore. I do have other guitars but I do not want to use them for that application.

Is it possible to take a cheap guitar and set it up for "steel guitar" application only? Has anyone here ever heard of this being done? Is this a bad idea? Would going the lap steel guitar route be better?

I do not have much background knowledge with true steel guitars as far as tunings, pickups, pedal usage. I'm mainly looking for the best possible way to do this without spending a lot of money.

Any links or info would be nice. Thanks

• Members

Definitely go the lap steel route. You can get a good, usable, new lap steel for less than $100 these days and a great vintage Supro for around $300. The only vintage ones that are skyrocketing in price beyond being ideal for casual use are the Gibby's and Ric's.

Otherwise, you can buy something called a "Perfect Nut" and raise the nut action on a regular guitar, but it is a uncomfortable compromise.

• Members

Those conversion nuts look to be a good route if you have a guitar to use with it already.

The $79 Artisan would be a good cheap way to go too, simple and functional.

If your handy with the tools, building your own is not too hard.

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lapsteel/

Basically a hardwood 2x4 with strings and a pickup.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back and ended up building my own with some fancier wood.

lap-4s.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Quarter

Those conversion nuts look to be a good route if you have a guitar to use with it already.

The $79 Artisan would be a good cheap way to go too, simple and functional.

If your handy with the tools, building your own is not too hard.

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lapsteel/

Basically a hardwood 2x4 with strings and a pickup.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back and ended up building my own with some fancier wood.

lap-4s.jpg

Thanks Quarter and everyone for the info and links.

Quarter, do you have any recordings of your steel guitar?

Thanks.

Archived