In Need Of Some Mixing Advice For This Jazz Tune

• Members

Hi there,

This is my "jazz trio" performance of Stella By Starlight.

http://soundcloud.com/zbbzspam/

I've uploaded a dry mix - with only Guitar Rig(amp modeling) applied to the bass and guitar, and slight EQ on the tracks.

and also one with some mixing plugins I throw in and chose the most-fitting presets for, just by how it sounds, without too much attention or knowledge of what I'm doing...

Known issues:

1) The vocalist volume is inconsistent, probably because she didn't stay at the same distance from the mic.

2) There also a lil' bleed from the guitar and some more noticeable bleed of double bass in the vocals. which makes issue 1 harder to triumph with compressing.

Thx in advance.

Seems a bit distracting to have the bass and guitar both panned out so far to the sides. I'd start by moving their pan knobs about 50% of the way towards center, and then adjusting to taste from there.

The vocal is much improved on the mix you have up vs the "dry" mix. A little volume automation may help even it out even further. I'd also advise using a highpass filter to help get rid of the bass in the lower octaves - below 200Hz or so. That will help a bit with the upright bass bleed into the vocal mic.

Are you using any reverb plugins or processors on your mix? It seems fairly dry to me. With jazz, a bit more ambiance is not unusual...

• Members

Hey guys.

Remixed : click

[i redid the sound for the bass, tweaked the guitar vs. vocals. dealt with the vox volume and also switched ezmix(yes I'm a mixing noob) with a regular master limiter on the master bus so at least if something is needed to be done on the master bus I know what's missing with your gracious help guys :)]

I don't mind the bass bleed as much as I mind the bleed of the bass slapping sound that makes this irritating click sounds, how would you deal with that Phil?

I'm using a lil' reverb. I like clean & clear sound but I also don't want it to be totally dry. I don't wanna use a lot of reverb 'cause I like a clear sound, what processors would help wet the sound?

• Moderators

I don't mind the bass bleed as much as I mind the bleed of the bass slapping sound that makes this irritating click sounds, how would you deal with that Phil?

I'm using a lil' reverb. I like clean & clear sound but I also don't want it to be totally dry. I don't wanna use a lot of reverb 'cause I like a clear sound, what processors would help wet the sound?

Do you have a convolution reverb? If it were me, I'd find a club/room type setting and go from there. Send the guitar but pan the input opposite it's panned in the mix. So if the guitar is 50% right, pan the send to verb at 50% left.

In a small setting like this, room reverb can sound great on double bass. Boom and all. It's the sound of '59. Kind of Blue, Mingus Ah Um. Those great jazz records had bass bleed in the lows and it really gave the ensemble a cool bloom to the room. So I'd try the same trick on the bass and see if it works. The pan opposite trick. But you'll probably end up with the bass pan up the middle to get an even bloom.

So I'd go for that great sounding club setting and try to get your bass and guitar cross reflecting a bit in the "room".

Do you have two mics or inputs for the bass? It sounds like there is a string component and a resonant component. If so, you could try sending the string slap panned a bit to the opposite to simulate his slap bouncing off the stage wall.

Anyway, good players, really nice singer. Cool project.

• Members

Here's another remix try(it's the 3rd mix):

http://soundcloud.com/zbbzspam/

Issues:

1) The bass doesn't come out enough as an independent instruments, it's very noticeable during the bass solo - I want people to actually hear his melody...

Lee Knight

How would you suggest to apply the room effect?

I took a jazz club preset of Refkltor(Guitar Rig/NI) and panned the guitar 50% right and than panned the send bus with Reflektor 50% left... How does it sound? and how should I approach the bass for room sound?

and I have only one input of the bass... I had the guitar rig modeling 75% wet, so it give some "dual sound" but the dry sound also contributes more noticeable slap clicks...

Thx again for the help guys.

• Members

vocals are too loud don`t like the chorus effect on the vocal , too much reverb coming back off the wall too soon ,apart from that i don`t like it (just kidding ). i think you guys are good .shouldn`t be that hard to sort out there are only three things happening ,sounds like other members are joining your band like mr chorus pedal and mr reverb box and they are begining to crave too much limlight .

Archived