PZM for vocals?

• Members

Agreed. That's what I've done in the past.

By the way, I use a large diaphragm condenser more often than any other microphone to record lead vocals. But that doesn't necessarily make it "the best". "The best" is what sounds good for a singer, and what sort of genre you are doing. There are plenty of vocals that have been cut with an RE-20, SM7, SM58, etc. that sound fantastic.

• Moderators

Back in the 80's, my old singer/songwriter/bandleader/boss used to do his song demos for the band on a cassette 4 track and a Realistic/Crown PZM for his vocal. The sound of his voice on the demos... man. It was so cool. I'm talking the cheapo 1/4" plug into the cheapo Tascam pre. Is sounded so right for him that when we moved up to Cherokee in L.A. on MCA's dime, their PZMs got a working out as much as their U47. It really worked for his voice. It might really work for yours as well. (it doesn't on some voices, like mine)

Another cool trick is to use them (a spaced pair) for choir type backups. It's like you're in the room with the group of singers.

• Members

When you used them with the choir-type backups, did you tape them to 2x2' boards?

Another fun thing I did occasionally was to tape it to the drummer's shirt. Interesting perspective.

I've heard of that trick but never tried it. Guess I need a PZM mic first lol.

Archived