So... what are you using for small diaphragm condensers?

• Members

I'd also really like to try a pair of KSM141s or KSM137s - I've heard good reports about them too. What sorts of things do you like to use the 137 on? Any overall comments / impressions?

I've used the SM137 on High-Hats, Overheads, Uke, and when traveling on Harmonica and Vox. I'm happy with all of the results, so far. You should really try one!

I recently finished doing a major mic roundup article for EM - it should be in the August issue if anyone wants to check it out. I was really blown away by the DPA 2011Cs that I reviewed as part of that. Really good stuff - 80% (or better) of the sound of the DPA 4011 for about half the price - $799 "street." I suspect that they're going to be a big seller for DPA.

I'm envious. I repped Earthworks and own a Periscope(Great Mic, but brutality honest), but have never had a chance to use a DPA. To me, those companies are so similar! I'll have to read the review!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My 'best' SDCs here are a pair of AT4049s which I try to use when appropriate. I purchased them for recording choirs and they work quite nicely in that role but I've also pointed them at instruments with success. Work well on a piano. Omni only; I've considered getting the cardioid or hyper capsules for them but reckon I don't really need them (or to spend that much money).

I actually get more use, though, from my pair of sE2s. They're the utility small condenser. There are some Cad GXL 1200s around here, too, just in case I need an extra for something. They are...adequate.

Recently, on something of a whim, I picked up a pair of Behringer C3s. A multi-pattern side-address small diaphragm condenser (though the adverts say they are LDCs). Surprising little mikes and very cheap. A bit noisy, to be sure. I've somewhat liked what I've heard from them in figure-8 mode on a guitar.

• Members

I actually get more use, though, from my pair of sE2s. They're the utility small condenser. There are some Cad GXL 1200s around here, too, just in case I need an extra for something. They are...adequate.

I use the SE3600 large diaphragm for my vocals at times, very pleased with results! I hear good things about the SD CADs, but haven't used them.

Off topic, Peanutroad it looks like we're neighbors. I'm in Panama City. Just a hop, skip and jump down 77.

• Members

I hear good things about the SD CADs, but haven't used them.

For all intents and purposes, the GXL1200 is the same microphone as the MXL 603. The only reason I have them is because CAD keeps sticking them in as freebies with their other mikes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i do lots of chamber music and classical recordings, so SDCs are my bread and butter. i have owned pairs of schoeps CMC64s, DPA 4011s, 4006s, 4061s, 4090s, neumann km140s, km184s, AT4051s, 4041s, 4022 (omnis), akg c481s, 391s and 461s, royer r-121 ribbons, coles 4038s, rode nt5s, gefell m300s, and many others.

almost all those mics are quite useable, with the DPA 4011s being the most accurate and transparent. the schoeps are perhaps the warmest, and make an excellent main ORTF pair, though i found them a tad boomy in close situations in the studio. the AKG C480/ck61's are very very good, with a similar timbre to the DPA 4011. the AT4051s are perhaps the best mid-priced SDCs out there.

however, of all the mics i have onwed and used, i keep coming back to the neumanns, because i just seem to like the color they put on things. the km140 and km184 sound literally identical, and they both make outstanding main ORTF pairs for chamber work.

• Members

Some years back I bought two used AKG C460's on e-bay based on a number of comments from pros on the net.

They are the warmest mics I own.

With that they serve an important role in extending my mic palette

I dont end up using them often.

However, ive had them in X/Y stereo on congas/bongos and acoustic geetar. Nice.

Its an out of production mic I'm glad I snagged at the time.

I dont see em around much for sale anymore.

An intersting point/question on SDC's.

I understand that, since the diaphram is smaller it can travel further without mechanically distorting yielding better low end.

However, when I use these warm SDC's the sound seems warm but smaller not bigger.

Not sure I understand how those points relate.

• 5 weeks later...

Some years back I bought two used AKG C460's on e-bay based on a number of comments from pros on the net.

They are the warmest mics I own.

With that they serve an important role in extending my mic palette

I dont end up using them often.

However, ive had them in X/Y stereo on congas/bongos and acoustic geetar. Nice.

Its an out of production mic I'm glad I snagged at the time.

I dont see em around much for sale anymore.

The C460 is a good mic. I'd love to have a pair of those myself. :)

An intersting point/question on SDC's.

I understand that, since the diaphram is smaller it can travel further without mechanically distorting yielding better low end.

However, when I use these warm SDC's the sound seems warm but smaller not bigger.

Not sure I understand how those points relate.

LDC's often sound "larger than life" to me, and SDC's tend to sound more "accurate." Not as hyped. :idk:

Maybe it's a matter of polar patterns - and distance from the source. Cardioid mikes are not normally accurate on the bottom when placed back at a significant distance (more than a foot or two) from the sound source. Their proximity effect is usually what props up the lows, especially when used at moderate to close mic to source distances. Move them back, and the bottom drops off. That's why distant mic placement techniques (Decca Tree, A-B / Spaced Pairs) often utilize omnidirectional microphones, which remain uniform in their frequency response regardless of the mic to sound source distance.

How far back are you placing the mikes?

• Members

My 'go to's' are a pair of Studio Projects C4 - with omni, card, and hyper- (or maybe super-) card capsules.

I get a fair amount of use from my SM-81 - mostly acoustic fretted things. And hats.

I have an A-T 4031 that is useless unless you really need to add a lot of 'zzzzzzing!' to a source. I don't know if it's knackered, or if this is the reason is was supplanted by the 4041 so soon after introduction. But when you need that sound, it's good to have it in the toolbox.

Archived