Eq for bass guitar and kick drum.

• Members

Can anyone advise me how to set a parametric eq for mixing kick drum and bass guitar?

I recorded drums, bass, guitar and vocals onto half inch tape on a Teac 8 track. I would like to know around what area do I set the hi-pass and lo-pass filters on the eq.

Thanks.

I can give you some general starting points, but without hearing it, I can't guarantee they'll be spot-on.

First of all, what microphones and preamps did you use? Do you have the kick and bass guitar recorded on separate tracks? Finally, what EQ(s) do you have?

• Members

The bass is on a seperate track to the kick. Cant remember the make of kick mic. but it was the usual large dynamic type, into an ART mic preamp, then straight into the 8 track. The bass was straight into a D.I. box then into a Sansamp preamp, into the 8 track.

The EQ I have is very cheap Behringer stuff, Ultra q Pro.

Okay, for the kick, if you feel it needs more "oomph" down low, try a few dB of boost in the 60-100Hz region. Use a moderately narrow bandwidth. In terms of highpass filtering, I'd recommend starting with it in the 30Hz region. You may also want to try a few dB of boost at 2.5-5kHz if you feel you need more beater "snap" or attack. Another very common issue is boxiness and muddiness. You can try cutting away at the 200-300Hz region if you're having issues with that.

That same 200Hz region is crucial for the bass. You might want to give a bit of goose to that region if your bass sounds thin. If you need better note articulation and pitch identification from the bass part, try adding a bit in at 800Hz or so. As far as the high pass filter, there's nothing to speak of on a four string bass below about 40Hz, so that's about where I'd set it for starters.

The two instruments overlap in quite a bit of their range, and they both have considerable low frequency information, which can make getting the EQ tricky. In general, if you're boosting one in a particular frequency range, you might want to avoid boosting in that same range with the other - or even cutting slightly in that same frequency range in order to "make room" for the other part.

Archived