Psst... hey you - want a free Soundtoys plugin?

Sure you do. :) Once again, Soundtoys is offering a free plugin - an Altec preamp sim - but only for a limited time (until March 29). Here's how to get it:

Go here and sign up (or if you're already registered, log in):

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2012/&rc=237-0933-499

When asked for a code, enter this:

237-0933-499

There's also the chance at winning free Soundtoys plugins for life, so definitely check it out!

Good luck everyone! :wave:

• Members

I've never undertood the reluctance to the iLok. Seems like a great copy protection solution and hasn't created any strife in my life.

You're lucky then. It's created a lot of strife for a lot of people, for example getting authorized on a new computer or OS. And a legitimate customer paying for a copy protection device is pretty much like an innocent person getting arrested and having to pay for their own handcuffs. The whole principle stinks - it's not like crackers haven't cracked the iLok anyway, which means pirates can get stuff without the hassle of the iLok while legit customers can't. It deters/punishes no one except paying customers.

I'm really glad to see more companies going to cloud based authorization and such. Makes a lot more sense. If you're going to make me buy hardware to use your product, at least make it hardware that adds value to your system, like the UAD cards.

• Members

I've had a lot of issues with iLok, although none of it has to do with the physical entity itself, but rather, in the authorization process. Just a {censored}ing awful nightmare sometimes. Once I've downloaded the proper authorization on the dongle, I haven't ever had any issues.

The problem that worries me about cloud based authorizations is the same one I worry about with challenge / response: What happens if the company goes belly-up? Yes, you're going to be out of luck sooner or later (without updates, it's only a matter of time before you won't be able to use it with a new computer or OS), but at least with an iLok authorization, you are not stuck without an authorization if the software company goes out of business and your HDD crashes.

Copy protection is a PITB. No doubt about it... and as Lee said, it tends to be more of a hassle for the legit users than it is for the pirates.

• Members

The problem that worries me about cloud based authorizations is the same one I worry about with challenge / response: What happens if the company goes belly-up? Yes, you're going to be out of luck sooner or later (without updates, it's only a matter of time before you won't be able to use it with a new computer or OS), but at least with an iLok authorization, you are not stuck without an authorization if the software company goes out of business and your HDD crashes.

Copy protection is a PITB. No doubt about it... and as Lee said, it tends to be more of a hassle for the legit users than it is for the pirates.

In a closer to perfect world no one would steal etc. and so on... so would not need copy protection blah. And where's the music?

:)

• Members

For me, iLok has eliminated the hassle of getting authorized on a new computer or OS. That's the whole point of it. If you think iLok is a hassle, you should try it with challenge/response.

Definitely. I made the switch from one computer to another with my problem. Again, the issue has been initially authorizing it, which has been nightmarish, to say the least, for a couple of different items.

• Members

All of the software I use has simple serial number or license file authorization. If I switch computers, I just re-enter the serial number or re-load the file I've saved and that's that. If the company goes belly-up, it'll still work. In fact I'm still using a couple of plugs from a company (Kjaerhus) that's been out of business for several years.

All of the software I use has simple serial number or license file authorization. If I switch computers, I just re-enter the serial number or re-load the file I've saved and that's that. If the company goes belly-up, it'll still work. In fact I'm still using a couple of plugs from a company (Kjaerhus) that's been out of business for several years.

Didn't they also use Challenge / Response for some of their plugins?

• Members

A plug-in that isn't node locked to your hard drive and doesn't require any contact at all to re-authorize somewhere else is basically not copy protected. I did a quick Google search and saw some kracks (I don't use kracks!) which I assume wouldn't exist if all you need is a serial number.

• Members

A plug-in that isn't node locked to your hard drive and doesn't require any contact at all to re-authorize somewhere else is basically not copy protected. I did a quick Google search and saw some kracks (I don't use kracks!) which I assume wouldn't exist if all you need is a serial number.

Oh, everything that uses a dongle or challenge/response has been kracked too. Again, people who really want to steal, will, so it's pointless and annoying to punish your paying customers with this stuff.

In fact, I know people who buy licensed software and then find a krack and install that instead, just so they don't have to deal with it.

• Members

Not that I know of. I only bought two of their plugs, the other stuff I use of theirs is free, and they just sent me an authorization file/license key when I bought them.

Archived