Recording room mics for a play - which mics should I use?

• Members

Ok, so like the title says, I'm recording some audio for my friends video company this weekend, it's an easter play in a 1000 person auditorium.

Which mic's would work best to capture some room sound, and where would be an ideal location (generally speaking, obviously every room is different)

Here's what I've got at my disposal

2x AKG C1000s

2x Sterling Audio ST55's

2x Karma Mics silver bullet omni condensers

I'm only looking to do one stereo pair, and blend that with 4 or 5 sub-mixes from the board.

• Moderators

Both the AKGs and the little omnis might prove to be a little (or a lot) noisy in this application, though the omnis would be my first choice if the noise issue was OK. The ST55 is a fixed cardiod? I think that's right. I'd probably go with the ST55s. If it is to be supplemental room pickup to some close performance mics, I'd go spaced pair. If it is intended as the sole pickup, I'd XY to give you a solid center of action.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I should be getting 8 channels of audio off the soundboard, the room mic's are just to give it a more live feel. I'll go with the large capsules; eventually I'll get some multi-pattern mic's, but up till now it hasn't seemed like the best option for my budget (and it doesn't seem as necessary for studio work).

Archived