Okay, I give up. Is REAPER basically my ACID Pro 8.0 release?

• Members

I'm a long time ACID Pro user (about 10 years now!) and I have a copy of SONAR on my machine (have had various upgrades since Cakewalk Pro Audio 6.0!!) And I've been waiting for an ACID Pro 8.0 for about three years now...is REAPER really my answer? I've played with the demo and it seems to be a great DAW and easy to get around in...?

• Members

Why not? You can try it out all you want and make up your own mind, sequencer choice is purely subjective as they all do the same basic functions.

(by the way, you DO know that the guys behind Reaper originally wrote ACID, didn't you??)

• Members

Why not? You can try it out all you want and make up your own mind, sequencer choice is purely subjective as they all do the same basic functions.

(by the way, you DO know that the guys behind Reaper originally wrote ACID, didn't you??)

I did. I guess I'm just looking for a comparison that isn't steeped in fanboy histrionics...:facepalm:

• Members

Got you.

I only used a really only version of Acid that came with my first 8 channel interface.

I decided it wasnt what I needed and never bothered with it again.

I tried reaper out too but I was already used to Sonar and Cubase and didnt see the sence in

learning another DAW program that does the same things as my current DAWs do.

I really cant tell you the menu simularities and differences so I wont be much help to you there.

I think Ableton is simular to Reaper in several ways too so you may want to look at that one too.

I like Sonar because it was easiest to learn coming from an analog background.

I think the old windows version of Logic was the hardest to get my head wrapped around.

• Members

I've never heard that, either. IIRC, the guy who wrote Winamp founded Cockos.

Acid was created by a company in Wisconsin called Sonic Foundry that created a bunch of great Windows audio software.

• Members

I've never heard that, either. IIRC, the guy who wrote Winamp founded Cockos.

Acid was created by a company in Wisconsin called Sonic Foundry that created a bunch of great Windows audio software.

I am well acquainted with Sonic Foundry and have been using ACID since before they were acquired by Sony. From what I heard about REAPER, you are correct on the WinAmp front, but I had also heard that some of the same folks from Sonic Foundry were involved in both:

A. GarageBand

and

B. REAPER

There may be no truth to these rumors, but those are as you said "nutty rumours" that float around the internets. It doesn't help that GarageBand and Reaper are both "ACID like" in their feel and appearance. I'm giving Sony until the end of March (Musikmesse) to release ACID Pro 8, and then I may be abandoning it :( I may just buy a license for REAPER anyway. It's $60 and those guys deserve the support.

• Members

That was my decision... I've used ACID almost as long as you have, but now that I've got Reaper, I'm very satisfied.

I've been playing with REAPER, but loading KONTAKT seemed to lock it up. :( I've recently pulled the trigger on a special offer by ACOUSTICA for their Mixcraft 5 Pro Studio (comes with a free upgrade to version 6 when it is released any day now) - they are offering the whole package for 99.00 right now. I figure the VST's and plugins alone are probably worth that. :idk: I just love SIMPLE to use things, which is why ACID has always appealed to me. Anyone have any experience with Mixcraft?

• Members

Kontakt and Reaper runs fine for most user as far that I know.

I'm using Reaper because:

- I can afford it

- It's something fresh and innovative about it.

- I feel at home with Cockos business-philosophy

- It does mostly what I need (and no other DAW seems overall better to me)

m2c

Good luck with Mixcraft!

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I have experience using both acid pro and reaper and to be perfectly honest I find reaper to be far superior.  for one thing the folks at magix acid pro 10 are very difficult to deal with and seem to be always working on a way to mess you over.  i kept trying to work with magix after my acid pro 7 would not work in windows 10 and never made any progress or problem resolution with them.  i checked out reaper and it does as much if not  more then acid pro with none of the headaches.  so in summary if you want a good reliable product with no hassles go with reaper.  if you want frustration and feelings of abandonment go with magix acid pro.  this is my opinion only .  draw your own conclusions from personal research.

Archived