Add another condenser mic, or just buy a pair?

• Members

Hey guys. So I'm getting closer and closer to having what I would consider a decent start to mic'ing up some drums. I've got the snare, toms and bass drum covered, and now I'm thinking about my "overheads".

The mic I really want to use is my MXL 990 condenser. The only problem is I'd really like to be able to catch the cymbals with 2 mics, so I need to pick up another one.

Now the question is to just get another 990, so I have a better chance of getting similar response out of both, or should I put the money towards buying a stereo pair of matched condensers. I really cannot afford to spend much more than the cost of the 990, so my budget is pretty low.

WHat would you guys do? Pick up another 990 to match my current one, or just buy a new pair and use the 990 elsewhere?

You may as well get a second MXL 990 and use that. I don't think you're going to find all that many condenser mic pairs at that price point. There's the $50 / pair CAD CM217s, but I think their high frequencies roll off about 12 or 13 kHz. Outside of that, and maybe the Behringer C2 and C4s (which also sell for under $80 a pair), there aren't all that many options for pairs of mikes in your price range.

You may as well get a second MXL 990 and use that. I don't think you're going to find all that many condenser mic pairs at that price point. There's the $50 / pair CAD CM217s, but I think their high frequencies roll off about 12 or 13 kHz. Outside of that, and maybe the Behringer C2 and C4s (which also sell for under $80 a pair), there aren't all that many options for pairs of mikes in your price range.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I just scored an MXL 990/991 set on ebay, but locally for under 50$. Do my plan is to use my two 990's for overheads, sm57's on the toms, and the 991 on the snare and see how it sounds. If I prefer the sm57 on the snare, I'll just throw the 991 on one of the toms, unless I pickup another 57 in the meantime, then I figure I can dual mic the snare, top and bottom.

• Members

Well I just scored an MXL 990/991 set on ebay, but locally for under 50$. Do my plan is to use my two 990's for overheads, sm57's on the toms, and the 991 on the snare and see how it sounds. If I prefer the sm57 on the snare, I'll just throw the 991 on one of the toms, unless I pickup another 57 in the meantime, then I figure I can dual mic the snare, top and bottom.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

An update and another question;

So I managed to snag another mxl 990 on the cheap from evilbay. It was one of the combo packs, which comes with an MXL 991 also. So now heres my proposed setup and further question;

CAD KBM412 on the bass drum
SM57 on the snare
SM57 on tom 1
SM57 on floor tom
MXL990 RH overheard
MXL990 LH overhead

This leaves me the MXL 991 still to either use or replace one of the above. The only thing I could really think to use it on would be maybe an additional snare mic (maybe to catch the underside) but I'm thinking it might be overkill for a simple demo. All this will be going through my Presonus 1818VSL and into either GB or Logic (if I feel like dropping the dough on it).

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I even bother with the MXL 991 or just leave it be for now? I could actually throw it on a guitar cab during drum tracking to get a scratch track to work from, making things easier later, but that's not a huge necessity.

• Members

An update and another question;

So I managed to snag another mxl 990 on the cheap from evilbay. It was one of the combo packs, which comes with an MXL 991 also. So now heres my proposed setup and further question;

CAD KBM412 on the bass drum
SM57 on the snare
SM57 on tom 1
SM57 on floor tom
MXL990 RH overheard
MXL990 LH overhead

This leaves me the MXL 991 still to either use or replace one of the above. The only thing I could really think to use it on would be maybe an additional snare mic (maybe to catch the underside) but I'm thinking it might be overkill for a simple demo. All this will be going through my Presonus 1818VSL and into either GB or Logic (if I feel like dropping the dough on it).

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I even bother with the MXL 991 or just leave it be for now? I could actually throw it on a guitar cab during drum tracking to get a scratch track to work from, making things easier later, but that's not a huge necessity.

• Members

Thanks Phil! I've still got some odds and ends to purchase before I get down to recording, but I'll start posting stuff for you guys to rip apart once I get going.

On a side note, can any of you guys recommend some decent mic clips for the drums? I've heard that the onstage, and samson ones are all junk, so I'm looking at the Audix clips. Any other ones in that price range I should look at? I don't want to buy junk, but these will see extremely light use, pretty much only in my home recording environment.

• Members

I don't recommend using mic clips on drums for recording; you get resonances that you don't want in the mic signal. Put the mics on stands.

As soon as you can afford it I'd highly recommend to get a pair of CAD M179s - they are not very expensive and they're hands down the best mic I have heard for the money, better than a lot that are more expensive. They're fantastic on drum overheads (or just about anywhere on the kit), also great for acoustic piano or just about anything really. Multi-pattern, too.

Archived