Let's talk about reverb plugins - what are your favorites?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey

View Post

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.

It's really not half bad for small rooms and ambience. I slightly prefer a Yamaha verb (either one of the ones onboard my console, or from my SPX900) for ambience, but the Dverb is no slouch.

Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either

I use that, and the Eventide Reverb as two of my main TDM verbs.

TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)

I really like the Ecoplate/EMT 162 plate from United Western that comes with TL Space quite a bit.

Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Cool - I really need to give that one a try. I keep hearing good reports about it.

The Lexicon reverb plugins are also quite good IMO - they really do sound like a Lexicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey

View Post

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.

It's really not half bad for small rooms and ambience. I slightly prefer a Yamaha verb (either one of the ones onboard my console, or from my SPX900) for ambience, but the Dverb is no slouch.

Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either

I use that, and the Eventide Reverb as two of my main TDM verbs.

TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)

I really like the Ecoplate/EMT 162 plate from United Western that comes with TL Space quite a bit.

Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Cool - I really need to give that one a try. I keep hearing good reports about it.

The Lexicon reverb plugins are also quite good IMO - they really do sound like a Lexicon.

• Members

This is the place to get the good impulse sets for lexicon, alesis and others.
http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=4188
As I said I havent tried them all yet and I wouldnt say thay are as good as a rack
unit but with allot of tweaking they can be made to sound good.

For Rack units, There are many of the used ones have allot of ambiant noise and
road wear so they may require a good tuneup to make them usable for recording work.
I'm an old analog guy and love racks units. Even if the sound quality isnt as good
on some and its a pain in the ass to plug them up, I still like using them.
One I found to have excelent verbs, echos and chorus etc is this.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP1024P.aspx
Place it after a guitar or vocal preamp or reamp the tracks with it and it
really does well.

I know its a Behringer and all Behringer stuff is supposed to be junk,
but the difference between a 24 bit unit and a 16 bit like an Alesis is definately noticable.
You dont have that anoying noise floor and ambiant noise to deal with when you're going for really deep reverbs.
Preamps are very clean. Id say if anything, The beringer doesnt have any really unique sounds. They are fairly
generic but the frequency responce and clarity are top notch for the price. It also has some great octavers/harmony
comp and other effects too.

When you mix you can get away with lower bit units. Is not like you're using 100% processed effects on tracks.
Most of your sound is bypasses and you may use only small amounts or purposly use their coloration/degration as an effect.
If I was needing to use 100% effect then I'd want a 24 bit processor. Otherwise its all a matter of taste.

If you do troll EBay for units you can find plenty of used units for under $50 regularly and its definately worth the money.
Behringer also makes an FX2000 and DSP2024 which are newer versions. Those run about $129 new. You can probibly
pick up a good Lexicons used for about the same price if you dont have one.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHFX2000
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP2024P.aspx

• Members

This is the place to get the good impulse sets for lexicon, alesis and others.
http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=4188
As I said I havent tried them all yet and I wouldnt say thay are as good as a rack
unit but with allot of tweaking they can be made to sound good.

For Rack units, There are many of the used ones have allot of ambiant noise and
road wear so they may require a good tuneup to make them usable for recording work.
I'm an old analog guy and love racks units. Even if the sound quality isnt as good
on some and its a pain in the ass to plug them up, I still like using them.
One I found to have excelent verbs, echos and chorus etc is this.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP1024P.aspx
Place it after a guitar or vocal preamp or reamp the tracks with it and it
really does well.

I know its a Behringer and all Behringer stuff is supposed to be junk,
but the difference between a 24 bit unit and a 16 bit like an Alesis is definately noticable.
You dont have that anoying noise floor and ambiant noise to deal with when you're going for really deep reverbs.
Preamps are very clean. Id say if anything, The beringer doesnt have any really unique sounds. They are fairly
generic but the frequency responce and clarity are top notch for the price. It also has some great octavers/harmony
comp and other effects too.

When you mix you can get away with lower bit units. Is not like you're using 100% processed effects on tracks.
Most of your sound is bypasses and you may use only small amounts or purposly use their coloration/degration as an effect.
If I was needing to use 100% effect then I'd want a 24 bit processor. Otherwise its all a matter of taste.

If you do troll EBay for units you can find plenty of used units for under $50 regularly and its definately worth the money.
Behringer also makes an FX2000 and DSP2024 which are newer versions. Those run about $129 new. You can probibly
pick up a good Lexicons used for about the same price if you dont have one.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHFX2000
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP2024P.aspx

• Members

I've used several with Pro Tools but haven't found any that really please me. I'm tempted to forego the plugins for most things and invest into a high end DA converter and AD converter and use just hardware for reverb, delay, compression, etc. No compatibility issues, use with any DAW, and use with my live sound rig if necessary.

• Members

I've used several with Pro Tools but haven't found any that really please me. I'm tempted to forego the plugins for most things and invest into a high end DA converter and AD converter and use just hardware for reverb, delay, compression, etc. No compatibility issues, use with any DAW, and use with my live sound rig if necessary.

• Members

Just picked up metric halo's production bundle and like their haloverb. Lots of setting to tweak. So far haven't found any "large" presets I really like. But the light and pleasant preset is exactly that and I love it. My go to subtle reverb.

• Members

Just picked up metric halo's production bundle and like their haloverb. Lots of setting to tweak. So far haven't found any "large" presets I really like. But the light and pleasant preset is exactly that and I love it. My go to subtle reverb.

• Members

wow - i have tried a million verb plugins. and really struggled with finding anything was even decent. i used a hardware lex pcm91 for a short while and didnt like a thing about it, so i went back to ITB and kept looking for some realistic spaces. i do chamber and classical music, so finding a truly realistic space is critical to my work.

the first time i got even close to something i could use was with SIR and one or two specific IRs from lex 480 and 960. i tried all the bricasti IRs, but none seemed good enough. also tried IRs from 2 EMT units, quantec, TC 6000, and others - okay, but not quite there.

i broke down and actually paid for valhalla room and with some tweaking, i started getting some useable verbs, though it took some work on my part and lots of experimenting. i finally decided i would have to spend some real money to get anything good, so i demo'ed altiverb v7. now, i was starting to get some nice verbs, though again, i really had to work hard to get something i liked - it required tweaking several settings for eq, decay time, high-end damping, etc, but pretty good results. i was ready to buy it, but...

then i read someone'e recommendation for IRCam Flux Verb Session, and decided to try it before laying out the cash for altiverb. right off the bat, i knew i had finally stumbled across a hella reverb for a reasonable price. again, the presets were never quite right, but with some minor tweaking of decay and damping, within a couple of days i had managed to create a couple of user presets that actually are, IMHO, competitive with anything i had heard, and compared favorably with some of my best live recordings done in real halls. fortunately, flux offered a half-price sale on the verb session plugin just at that moment, so i purchased it for $100. it is now my standard go-to reverb and until i manage to afford a real bricasti hardware unit, my search for reverb is over. flux verb session is extremely good, and by far the best ITB offering i have found.

• Members

wow - i have tried a million verb plugins. and really struggled with finding anything was even decent. i used a hardware lex pcm91 for a short while and didnt like a thing about it, so i went back to ITB and kept looking for some realistic spaces. i do chamber and classical music, so finding a truly realistic space is critical to my work.

the first time i got even close to something i could use was with SIR and one or two specific IRs from lex 480 and 960. i tried all the bricasti IRs, but none seemed good enough. also tried IRs from 2 EMT units, quantec, TC 6000, and others - okay, but not quite there.

i broke down and actually paid for valhalla room and with some tweaking, i started getting some useable verbs, though it took some work on my part and lots of experimenting. i finally decided i would have to spend some real money to get anything good, so i demo'ed altiverb v7. now, i was starting to get some nice verbs, though again, i really had to work hard to get something i liked - it required tweaking several settings for eq, decay time, high-end damping, etc, but pretty good results. i was ready to buy it, but...

then i read someone'e recommendation for IRCam Flux Verb Session, and decided to try it before laying out the cash for altiverb. right off the bat, i knew i had finally stumbled across a hella reverb for a reasonable price. again, the presets were never quite right, but with some minor tweaking of decay and damping, within a couple of days i had managed to create a couple of user presets that actually are, IMHO, competitive with anything i had heard, and compared favorably with some of my best live recordings done in real halls. fortunately, flux offered a half-price sale on the verb session plugin just at that moment, so i purchased it for $100. it is now my standard go-to reverb and until i manage to afford a real bricasti hardware unit, my search for reverb is over. flux verb session is extremely good, and by far the best ITB offering i have found.

• Moderators

Just tried McDsp's Revolver on a solo piano recording. Very nice. The piano was recorded in a large living room. I used the room Blumlein into a stereo delay effectively moving the walls out 15 feet or so by using 30 and 40ms, into a Revolver space that was more the size of a palace ballroom. Sizable but not quite a hall. I wanted the ERs from the closer mics to work with the IR. It sounded freaking great. Nice reverb.

• Moderators

Just tried McDsp's Revolver on a solo piano recording. Very nice. The piano was recorded in a large living room. I used the room Blumlein into a stereo delay effectively moving the walls out 15 feet or so by using 30 and 40ms, into a Revolver space that was more the size of a palace ballroom. Sizable but not quite a hall. I wanted the ERs from the closer mics to work with the IR. It sounded freaking great. Nice reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorman

View Post

Thanks - I definitely need to give that a try too. Looks like it's Mac and PC compatible.

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plu...m_verb_session

Quote Originally Posted by jnorman

View Post

Thanks - I definitely need to give that a try too. Looks like it's Mac and PC compatible.

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plu...m_verb_session

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My main go to reverb is Overloud's Breverb. It's a little bright but pretty versatile. I wouldn't say it sounds very realistic but I can usually make it sit in a mix well.

I also use the IK Multimedia Classik Reverb. I think it sounds a little thicker and darker than the Breverb and I use it when I don't want the reverb to be too noticeable.

I also sometimes use the Perfect Space that came with Sonar and occasionally use the stock FX Sonar reverb.

A lot of people say they like the Sonnox Oxford Reverb but I've never used it. I use the Sonnox Oxford eq on just about everything that I record because it's the most transparent and accurate eq I have so maybe I should try their reverb.

My favorite hardware reverb that I have is the Alesis Wedge. It's kind of thick and dark but I don't use it much anymore since I started using VSTs.

I'm somewhat impatient so I try not to spend too much time trying out different reverb programs and patches. You can waste a lot of time auditioning everything you have only to come to realise that your first or second choice was probably the best. I'm also not big tweaker. I usually go through patches until I like something and will adjust the decay a little and cut some of the low frequencies with a high pass filter.

Archived