Let's talk about reverb plugins - what are your favorites?

There are a ton of reverb plugins out there. Which ones do you like best? What plugins are you using, and what do you like to use them on? Do you have preferences for different types of reverb? For example, maybe you like to use TrueVerb for small room simulations, and TL Space for halls, or maybe you prefer some other combinations. Tell me about them please!

Oh, and if your favorites are specific to one system or require DSP of some sort, please mention what platform you're running it on.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

#1 Altiverb - for 'real' room simulations. But some of the Lexicon and EMT plate algorithms are very very good. Does not like a huge amount of sources thru one buss tho. And of course, the lack of tweakability can mean that I need to go for....

#2 Trueverb - Great decays. I actually turn off the predelays on this one sometimes when the source already has some room sound on there.

#3 RVerb - Does dark plates well, and has all the tweakability of Trueverb. I prefer the overall flavour of Trueverb, but this one does get used a lot.

4# DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

All of these are RTAS on PTLE 7.4

Now, show me a reverb plugin that sounds even half as good as a rack unit, and I'll trade you my granny for it!

• Members

#1 Altiverb - for 'real' room simulations. But some of the Lexicon and EMT plate algorithms are very very good. Does not like a huge amount of sources thru one buss tho. And of course, the lack of tweakability can mean that I need to go for....

#2 Trueverb - Great decays. I actually turn off the predelays on this one sometimes when the source already has some room sound on there.

#3 RVerb - Does dark plates well, and has all the tweakability of Trueverb. I prefer the overall flavour of Trueverb, but this one does get used a lot.

4# DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

All of these are RTAS on PTLE 7.4

Now, show me a reverb plugin that sounds even half as good as a rack unit, and I'll trade you my granny for it!

• Members

I mostly default to Logic's space designer, usually with a plate setting for vocals and some sort of room for drum sounds. It's got a lot of parameters to tweak so you can get a lot of sounds with it. I do sometimes use Wave's renaissance verb as well, not for any particular reason, just to be different sometimes. I also have a lexicon hardware reverb that I've been meaning to hook up, but it's a lot more work than plugins.

• Members

I mostly default to Logic's space designer, usually with a plate setting for vocals and some sort of room for drum sounds. It's got a lot of parameters to tweak so you can get a lot of sounds with it. I do sometimes use Wave's renaissance verb as well, not for any particular reason, just to be different sometimes. I also have a lexicon hardware reverb that I've been meaning to hook up, but it's a lot more work than plugins.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by gubu View Post
DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.
Shhh! ^^^ I love the Ambience setting still.

I tend to use a IR room, pick an IR library. That becomes my performance room. 1.5 or shorter. That ties the band together. That is the Waves IR reverb.

Then I'll get a plate, 2.5 or shorter. The plate might be from either Breverb, RVerb, or the Waves IR verb.

And that DVerb frequently gets used on lead vocal in Ambience. Just a little to spread it. The vocal is going to get a little all all of them but mostly the plate and the timed, fed back and filtered delay going back into the plate.

The snare can go into the room or the plate depending on the tune. Or a seperate Hall. That Hall wil be either the RVerb or the Waves IR. And once again, pick a library.

• Moderators
DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.
Shhh! ^^^ I love the Ambience setting still.

I tend to use a IR room, pick an IR library. That becomes my performance room. 1.5 or shorter. That ties the band together. That is the Waves IR reverb.

Then I'll get a plate, 2.5 or shorter. The plate might be from either Breverb, RVerb, or the Waves IR verb.

And that DVerb frequently gets used on lead vocal in Ambience. Just a little to spread it. The vocal is going to get a little all all of them but mostly the plate and the timed, fed back and filtered delay going back into the plate.

The snare can go into the room or the plate depending on the tune. Or a seperate Hall. That Hall wil be either the RVerb or the Waves IR. And once again, pick a library.

• Members

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.
Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either
TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)
Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Using all in TDM except TSAR, which is RTAS only.

• Members

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.
Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either
TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)
Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Using all in TDM except TSAR, which is RTAS only.

• Members

I havent been using as much in the box reverbs as I used to
because I'm using stereo guitar preamp/effects units units to record more lately.
I do use some that came with Sonar like Perfect Space which is Impulse based
reverb. I have another Voxengo version too. I have buttloads of impulses loaded
and havent even tried yet so I've barely used many of them yet.

Sonar has another one thats just called Reverb FX. Its a good quick reverb for guitars.
Sonar also loads a Sonitus bundle and has another good reverb there. Its pretty easy
to manipulate graphically with a mouse.

I have dozens of others but I dont think any of them do what I want.
I did some recordings the other day from my Marshall amps speaker emulated line out
and used its spring reverb for some tracks. I wouldnt say its better than all plugins,
but theres no treaking involved. Simplicity is great and you can spend allot of time tweaking
parameters of a plugin and never find what you want.

• Members

I havent been using as much in the box reverbs as I used to
because I'm using stereo guitar preamp/effects units units to record more lately.
I do use some that came with Sonar like Perfect Space which is Impulse based
reverb. I have another Voxengo version too. I have buttloads of impulses loaded
and havent even tried yet so I've barely used many of them yet.

Sonar has another one thats just called Reverb FX. Its a good quick reverb for guitars.
Sonar also loads a Sonitus bundle and has another good reverb there. Its pretty easy
to manipulate graphically with a mouse.

I have dozens of others but I dont think any of them do what I want.
I did some recordings the other day from my Marshall amps speaker emulated line out
and used its spring reverb for some tracks. I wouldnt say its better than all plugins,
but theres no treaking involved. Simplicity is great and you can spend allot of time tweaking
parameters of a plugin and never find what you want.

• Members

Believe it or not, I like the old "Timeworks" 4080L reverb with a post-eq in line. It's in my autoload, and always carries at least part of the 'verb load.
SIR convolution is cool, great for getting some space, as is the old UAD RealVerb Pro, and I agree w/gubu- the RVerb does a real nice dark plate.
Sometimes I'll stick a tape saturator of some sort after the snare 'verb, just for attitude, and then bury it so it's subtle- you don't really notice it until it's gone...

• Members

Believe it or not, I like the old "Timeworks" 4080L reverb with a post-eq in line. It's in my autoload, and always carries at least part of the 'verb load.
SIR convolution is cool, great for getting some space, as is the old UAD RealVerb Pro, and I agree w/gubu- the RVerb does a real nice dark plate.
Sometimes I'll stick a tape saturator of some sort after the snare 'verb, just for attitude, and then bury it so it's subtle- you don't really notice it until it's gone...

• Members
I don't have enough direct experience to make a judgement, but I've seen a few people on the web that good hardware reverbs are generally better than good plugins.

Why would this be true? They're both digital number-crunchers, not like the analog vs digital thing you get with hardware compressors and plugins.

Not that I doubt you, I just don't understand why this would be the case.

• Members
I don't have enough direct experience to make a judgement, but I've seen a few people on the web that good hardware reverbs are generally better than good plugins.

Why would this be true? They're both digital number-crunchers, not like the analog vs digital thing you get with hardware compressors and plugins.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Dedicated circuitry preamps and algorithm

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Dedicated circuitry preamps and algorithm

Archived