Ibanez RG550 vs. RG570?

LookingForDD20

• Members

I'm not an Ibanez expert, or even close, but I THINK the LoTRS was only used on the cheapo Korean ones. The Prestige models use the Edge Pro, which is a fantastic unit, but the older 5XX series used the original Edge. Don't carve any of that in stone (cept the part about the Edge Pro being fantastic.. I had a 1570 and it WAS a fantastic trem on a great guitar, but the neck cramped my hand too much to keep it)..

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

I'm not an Ibanez expert, or even close, but I THINK the LoTRS was only used on the cheapo Korean ones. The Prestige models use the Edge Pro, which is a fantastic unit, but the older 5XX series used the original Edge. Don't carve any of that in stone (cept the part about the Edge Pro being fantastic.. I had a 1570 and it WAS a fantastic trem on a great guitar, but the neck cramped my hand too much to keep it)..

I appreciate the help. The LoTRS was used on the cheapies, but the LoPro appeared on some RGs. I found a site with detailed pics, but I'm still looking for more info on the LoPro vs. Edge.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm

EDIT: Apparently the LoPros had locking studs. Anyone tried them?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463665

• Members

actually, in 1992 (i think) the rg550 and 570 came with the edge lopro. Both the original edge and edge lopro are of the same quality

QUOTE]Originally posted by LookingForDD20

I appreciate the help. The LoTRS was used on the cheapies, but the LoPro appeared on some RGs. I found a site with detailed pics, but I'm still looking for more info on the LoPro vs. Edge.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm

EDIT: Apparently the LoPros had locking studs. Anyone tried them?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463665

• Members

Originally posted by LookingForDD20

Ah, yes. Forgot about the fretboard.

So, the trems are identical? What's the deal with the LoPro then?

the Edge came first.

Then eventually was replaced with the Lo Pro Edge.

Differences is exactly that.

Low Profile.

If you look at the two Edge trems,

the fine tuners on the Lo Pro are more flush with the rest of the trem.

where as the original Edge, the fine tuners were up higher like on a Floyd Rose.

• Members

Both the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge trems have locking studs, the newer Edge Pros don't. Personally I don't think they make that much of a difference. I have a 1989 RG550 (Edge) and used to have a Kramer Stagemaster that had the Original Floyd Rose (which doesn't have locking posts and both guitars stayed in tune just as well.

Some years in the 90s Ibanez offered the Lo-Pro edge on some limited edition RG5xx models. Some RG550s, like mine, had rosewood fretboards too. The maple fretboards are more common for that model though.

As for the pre-AANJ (aka slanted block heel) and AANJ..again I don't feel there's really that much of a difference. I've never had any problems reaching the high frets on the slanted heel.

• Members
Originally posted by LookingForDD20

So, it's basically a cosmetic difference, as kherman pointed out?

kherman- Have you used both?

My '89 550 has Edge with locking studs. I dont even bother locking them and have no problems with stability. The only thing I can say about the RG550/570 series is to beware of the early models. The necks were a bit thinner at the nut and break very easily. I got a later neck for mine off of ebay, though, and it works very nicely now. Guess I have to take back all of the Ibanez bashing Ive done here the last few years...

• Members

Actually more of a comfort thing.

Some say the lo pro is more comfortable, because your palm isn't hitting against the fine tuner area.

I think there's also less chance of knocking a fine tuner out of tune with the lo pro.

Personally I never had a problem with the original Edge equipped guitars or original Floyd equipped guitars trems and their style.

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

The only thing I can say about the RG550/570 series is to beware of the early models. The necks were a bit thinner at the nut and break very easily. I got a later neck for mine off of ebay, though, and it works very nicely now.

Earlier, as in pre-AANJ? You said you got a later neck... I didn't think the neck styles were swappable...?

Originally posted by kherman

Cool. Guess I have one less thing to base my purchase on. :cool:

• Members

Those old RG5xx guitars are really nice. I remember looking at them a few years before they switched to the RG15xx models. I ended up with a Prestige 3120 but I always thought the 5xx guitars were a good value at the $600 new they cost at the time.

But PLEASE, do yourself a favor and check out the RG520QS! The 520QS has a mahogany body and no middle single coil - I distinctly remember it sounding better than the basswood 570s while costing no more.

Also, what does pre-AANJ vs. AANJ mean?

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

Mine is a 1988 model 550. The original neck cracked from just doing dive bombs with the whammy. The replacement neck I have is also pre-aanj, but is much stouter at the nut, and overall a little thicker.

Do you know what year this stopped being a problem?

• Members

Originally posted by metallica_00

Those old RG5xx guitars are really nice. I remember looking at them a few years before they switched to the RG15xx models. I ended up with a Prestige 3120 but I always thought the 5xx guitars were a good value at the $600 new they cost at the time.

But PLEASE, do yourself a favor and check out the RG520QS! The 520QS has a mahogany body and no middle single coil - I distinctly remember it sounding better than the basswood 570s while costing no more.

Also, what does pre-AANJ vs. AANJ mean?

All Access Neck Joint

Still wondering what year the fragile neck issue was resolved...

• Members

Originally posted by kherman

Some say the lo pro is more comfortable, because your palm isn't hitting against the fine tuner area.

I think there's also less chance of knocking a fine tuner out of tune with the lo pro.

Personally I never had a problem with the original Edge equipped guitars or original Floyd equipped guitars trems and their style.

Thanks for the info about the comfort.

I too have never had a problem with any of those trems.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Both the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge trems have locking studs, the newer Edge Pros don't. Personally I don't think they make that much of a difference. I have a 1989 RG550 (Edge) and used to have a Kramer Stagemaster that had the Original Floyd Rose (which doesn't have locking posts and both guitars stayed in tune just as well.

They make a big difference IMHO. Any time I have had tuning stability problems, I checked to see if I forgot to lock the posts. And sure enough that was the issue. Once they were locked the issue went away. You can get replacement studs for ht EdgePro.

As for the pre-AANJ (aka slanted block heel) and AANJ..again I don't feel there's really that much of a difference. I've never had any problems reaching the high frets on the slanted heel.

I wouldn't buy a Ibanez without a AANJ. It does give you better access without hand cramps.

Archived