Interesting article on graphene use for speaker diaphragms

I found this article quite interesting. They're experimenting with graphene use for diaphragms. Currently they're just experimenting with it in ear bud diaphragms, but the initial experiments are quite promising, and could potentially be applicable to larger drivers. Due to graphene's electrical conductivity, very light weight, exceptional thinness, high strength, and energy efficiency, it could potentially be a nearly ideal material for use in speaker diaphragms. We could certainly use some breakthrough innovations in speakers... most of the technology we currently use is quite old, extremely inefficient in terms of power input vs. output, and requires numerous compromises that graphene may not. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/512496/first-graphene-audio-speaker-easily-outperforms-traditional-designs/

While microphones are not mentioned, I have to wonder about the potential applications for mic diaphragms too. I suspect it could wind up in that application as well, since potentially it would offer extremely good sensitivity and outstanding transient response, and would probably be less prone to overshoot and ring as well.

• Members

Could be huge for British HI-fi/Studio Monitors, as I think the current hi-tech stuff is Carbon-Kevlar.IDK.

Certainly no real guitar player is going to trade in his paper cone Ceelstions , unless for special application like was mentioned- a Champ at a large venue where noone cares about tone, or some digital amp.

Archived