Cascade Fat Head BE

Looks like Cascade has come out with an even less expensive version of their excellent Fathead ribbon mic - The Fat Head BE (Bare Essentials). What's different? You don't get the aluminum case, the deluxe shock mount, or the wood storage box, but the mic itself is the same except for the color of the body. A storage bag and a simpler rubberized mount are included. You can even get them with the Lundahl or Cinemag transformer upgrades, or as stereo pairs for an additional charge. Prices start at $129 for a single Fat Head BE with the stock transformer, which is an excellent deal on a really nice sounding mic. If you record - especially guitar amps - and don't already have a decent ribbon mic, this would be an excellent low-cost addition to your mic collection.

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT_HEAD_BE_SPECIAL_OFFER.html

• Members

Nice.  I have a pair of Fat Heads with the Lundahl transformers.  They're solid mics, especially considering the price tag.  I think I have enough ribbons right now, though, lol...

ShinyBox 46MX

ShinyBox 46MXC (Cinemag transformer)

2x Groove Tubes Velo-8

BLUE Woodpecker (active)

2x Cascade Fat Head II (Lundahl transformers)

Royer R101

Other than guitar cabs, I really like ribbons as overheads and drum room mics.  Also, the ShinyBox 46MX has pretty much taken over as my favorite snare mic.  I generally use it to mic the shell of the snare, with about the top quarter-inch of the ribbon peeking above the rim at the top snare head.  I don't know how healthy it is for the mic, but dang it sounds good.

Archived