Not Really Studio, but Sound Related

• Members

After digging my home entertainment pile out of storage, I discovered my "subwoofer" (CSW Basscube 10... goes down to an unremarkable 40Hz) was deceased. I used this as an excuse to buy a real subwoofer.

Problem: my new digs lack doors. Like, any doors. Two floor house, 1000sqft or so, two bedrooms, kitchen, and the proposed living room have no way of sealing the portals. The living room, in fact, has an archway that was probably French doors at one point opening to the front entry and stairway.

Technically, the subwoofer will see 9000 or so cubic feet, meaning I'd need a box Motley Crue's stage manager would be proud of, which I definitely do not want.

I have hung curtains between the rooms to manage my air conditioning needs, might the same, or some sort of upgraded curtains result in a smaller effective working volume for the sub?

No... Probably not. Most curtains are going to be transparent, or nearly so at those low frequencies. The lower in frequency you go, the more important mass becomes if you want to block sound transmission.

However, I wouldn't be too worried about it. What you won't get is as much reinforcement of those low frequencies from the room boundaries, but that doesn't mean they won't be there, or you won't hear them - especially if you have three full walls and only one with the large opening where the French doors used to be.

So you have a overhead diagram of the room? Even just a sketch? That would help me better visualize it. If you can also put in dimensions too, I could calculate the LF modes for you.

• Members

Sir, your presence on Harmony Central is like a stream of bat's piss; you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

I knew that the curtains would do nothing for soundproofing, that's not a concern. The lack of room boundaries is exactly what I was hoping to mitigate.

I still have the drawings from the assessor, fortunately:

floorplan.JPG

Stupid MS Paint.

The home entertainment gadgetry is along the wall between the kitchen and living room, nearly the entirety of the opposite wall is couch, with the corner to its left occupied by an end table, an inward facing easy chair on the left wall abutting the couch, and the remainder of that wall being a radiator. The living room proper is 13.5' along the couch's wall, 13' along the archway wall, ceiling is just about 9'.

If its a hopeless case, I either need to return the sub (it's a little too pricey to get nothing out of it), or more the "living room" to one of the bedrooms (which need remodling and electrical updating).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I know exactly how frustrating it can be with radiators, chimney breasts and the like! Rearranging the room was just a suggestion. I understand you've got to live there too :)

Once you get your DSP optimised, a few well placed wall hangings can do a great deal to tighten up the imaging and non-bass frequency response.

And fwiw, I'd have the sub in the left hand corner beside the tv, if possible, and optimise it as much as possible with your DSP.

Good luck!

• Members

gubu wrote:

Ok, I know exactly how frustrating it can be with radiators, chimney breasts and the like! Rearranging the room was just a suggestion. I understand you've got to live there too
:)

Cool, I was getting worried that I was starting to come off as "HAY GUYZ, I NEEd ADVICE THAT I'M GOING TO ARBITRARILLY IGNORE!!11!!

Once you get your DSP optimised, a few well placed wall hangings can do a great deal to tighten up the imaging and non-bass frequency response.

And fwiw, I'd have the sub in the left hand corner beside the tv, if possible, and optimise it as much as possible with your DSP.

Good luck!

Definitely, some of the good news/bad news is a lot of window area relative to the walls, which I'll use as an excuse to get some heavy drapery up. That, and the curtained arch and door, and the reflections should get pretty eaten up, maybe I'll build a little something behind each speaker if things are still messy.

That's my current plan re: sub placement, I don't have a lot of room to manuever, but the response isn't terrible now either. I might get a newer receiver with more control options, they aren't a lot of cash, and HDMI switching might be a good idea anyway.

Archived