seems like every band I like is switching from LES PAULS to ES335s!!

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members
Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

how are the necks on the 335s? I'd think about getting a copy (such as an Edwards) but I think I'm too comfortable with the thickness of the LP neck

The neck is what screws it for me when I look at other guitars. It's so thin, God help me, 40 years of playing it makes any other normal guitar seem fat. I've adjusted pretty well to the neck of a PRS singlecut, but it's taking time.

• Members
Originally posted by rhat

If you play a 335 and want to retire it .... hell thats a no brainer.

Heritage 535. You wont feel bad about your 335 all tucked away in its case. Every heritage is bless personally by the ghost of orville gibson. rat

Never played one, what does the neck feel like?

• Members

I must say that I truly enjoy playing a 335 style better. I like the clean tones, as well as driving up until it just starts to break-up. Guitars are kind of like going thru chicks. You always have the flavor of the month going. Most recently there has been the SG craze, back in the eighties it was the really pointy guitar phase. Slash came out and started the Les Paul craze all over again. The worst part of it is that who starts the fads? Most likely some reject from MTV. I have been playing a Washburn HB 32 lately that has me going. I remember seeing one of my all time favs, Alex Lifeson back in the day playing his trusty 355. Man it was majic, that beautiful sound. I have wanted one ever since. Can't afford it, a Gibson anyway, but I'll make due with what I can get. Speaking of Alex's White es 355, has anyone seen the Washburn/ Boogie St. Es 335? Pretty hot I must say! Now if I could just find that missing lottery ticket! I played that Washburn HB 32 the other day thru a Peavey Delta Blues. It rang hard with some feedback, but after I got it dialed out, man was it cool! I wonder what it would sound like with some quality pick ups in place!

• Members

i hear ya fellows when you talk about GAS.

Last week I was on a PRS kick! Like hell, where does this stuff come from??

Too bad about the slim necks. I'm going to have to try it out to see if would bother me or not. I'm sure it is, because the only guitar I find really has space for my long slender fingers is a Gibson SG. I tried a Rickenbacker once, JESUS CHRIST it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever felt! I hope that this isn't the case with the ES335. From what I've been reading, they are like the LP but more clear and a little more bite (exactly what I'm looking for - the SG didn't do it for me)

• Members
Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

how are the necks on the 335s? I'd think about getting a copy (such as an Edwards) but I think I'm too comfortable with the thickness of the LP neck

The Historic 335s have nice big necks. My 335 has a neck just like
my Les Pauls.

Hist.jpg

57GT:)

• Members

i'm kinda pissed that all these {censored} bands (my chemical romance, angels and airwaves and countless other jokers who think they know what concept albums are) started adopting the 335's just when i started getting into them; i'll admit, i was heavily influenced by the music i've been listening to but these bands take hollowbodies to a new level (brian jonestown massacre, dandy warhols, brmc, shoegaze stuff, etc. etc.). anyhow, epiphone sheratons look pretty nice and i heard that they're of waaaay higher quality than the dot's. yet, the vox ultrasonic seems to be incredible. although it's way more cluttered than a gibson/epi, a 9 volt in the back provides built in wah, fuzz, and repeater tremolo all genuine products of the 60's - amazing. now i just gotta find the cash and the actual guitar.

dan-G2web.jpg

Archived