seems like every band I like is switching from LES PAULS to ES335s!!

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

So, I was bored one day and I was looking at band photos online of numerous bands that I like (The Exit, Days Away, Foo Fighters...etc)

...and one thing I noticed was that of all of the people who used LP's in these bands have switched to ES335s. ALL OF THEM! :eek:

I guess I'm missing something by not playing one before. I love the shape. Do they do everything an LP can do and more? What are they, an LP with more articulation and treble??

• Members

Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

So, I was bored one day and I was looking at band photos online of numerous bands that I like (The Exit, Days Away, Foo Fighters...etc)

Dave is usually playing his trini lopez, not a 335.

but yes i have noticed a trend shift towards the semi hollow's myself too (maybe it's just because i started wanting one, and noticed them more?)

• Members

The two electric guitars I currently own are a Les Paul Standard, and a 335 (modded 333 actually). I play the 335 way more, why? It has better upper fret access, it has controlable feedback, it has that semi-hollow fat yet snappy sound, and it's lighter. I still play my LP, but not as much. Plus, they look so damn cool on stage. For everything short of metal, I prefer the 335.

• Members

Thin lines are very comfortable guitars to play .not god awful heavy..plays great sitting down. Good fret access and easy to play. They have always been popular with guitar players.

most players evolve in types of guitars they play. There is alot more to music than solid bodies , blazing hot pickups and Fuzz.

A guy really only needs four guitars. A raging solid body, a semi hollow body ,, and a good acoustic that you can plug in, and a Bass. If you pick your guitars carfully and buy quality on the first round They will be the only guitars you will ever need. rat

• Members
Originally posted by finboy

i prefer the epiphone equivilant but there are some nice 335's out there that i wouldn't pass up if the price was right.

on another note, check out this abomination...

36f2_1.JPG

yes, thats a kahler
:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-Gibson-Custom-Shop-ES-335_W0QQitemZ300056669968QQihZ020QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like that abomination.

BTW, Steve Howe played an ES-175

• Members

Originally posted by kkyle

I gave up trying to find a new one that would satisify me (comparing to my 66 es 335). I'm trying to retire mine, too much sentimental value AND real value. I've gone to the dark side, a singlecut PRS.

If you play a 335 and want to retire it .... hell thats a no brainer.

Heritage 535. You wont feel bad about your 335 all tucked away in its case. Every heritage is bless personally by the ghost of orville gibson. rat

• Members

Originally posted by FearMeWithMyLP

how are the necks on the 335s? I'd think about getting a copy (such as an Edwards) but I think I'm too comfortable with the thickness of the LP neck

my epiphone dot has a pretty fat neck. but it doesnt slow me down. it forces me to wrap my whole hand around the neck - rather than push against the back of it with my thumb. its very different, but overall i think its better for your playing, and you will probably find that you can play just as fast on it as your les paul...it is for me anyways

i love it though. its the perfect guitar for me, and ever since i've played it, i don't like the sound of my les paul. i can get more out of less gain with it. that really overdriven but not clipped tone, where it just sustains forever. it sounds superior to my les paul.

one thing i didnt like, was it looks like you have unlimited fret access, but really, getting to 18-22, that lower horn becomes an obstacle against the nuckles of my fingers, so i kinda have to squeeze it up there to get the last few, and sometimes sacrafice my pinky, because its squished between my ring finger and the horn. i'd say that the es-335 is better than the lp for getting to frets ~15-18 or so, but i'd rather deal with the body of the les paul for the last four frets, than the es-335 lower horn

i still prefer the dot. its a tone machine. you can hear it unplugged. you can hear the character of the acoustic sound through your amplifier. it sounds perfect

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

If you play a 335 and want to retire it .... hell thats a no brainer.

Heritage 535. You wont feel bad about your 335 all tucked away in its case. Every heritage is bless personally by the ghost of orville gibson. rat

What he said.

Four years ago I looked for, but couldn't find, an ES-335 that was a good price (used), so I paid about the same for my H-555 with all the upgrades. I couldn't be happier for the money.

Archived