The invention of stereo...

• Moderators

Etienne Rambert wrote:

A bad day in history AFAIC. Mono mixes sound a lot better IMO.

Hyperbole should never be confused with fact.

Great video Phil. It's interesting how great "inventions', the best ones anyway, tend to be recreations of nature. Our ears, the pinna, the distance between, hearing fore and aft... all nature. The Blumlien pair is a brilliant reimagining of that. The different response of the backside of a fig 8 mic beautifully recreates the ear's pinna. Even with full bandwidth backside mics, the attenuated off axis pickup does enough to make it work. 

Brilliant and simple. Like Jobs, Bell, and Franklin. Great stuff.

• Members

Etienne Rambert wrote:

A bad day in history AFAIC. Mono mixes sound a lot better IMO.

LOL

I went through a back to mono phase. In large part because one channel of my beloved old Williamson tube amp finally died and it was the middle of my punk rock phase and I was determined to soldier on. I set the preamp section to mono (gotta love the old hardware) and blasted it out through the single point of my 15" folded horn speaker that took up a big part of my little studio apartment.

But, you know, ultimately, I had to admit that I'd been in love with stereo since the first time I heard it at the house of  a freind of my folks who was a hi fi pioneer just starting to experiment with stereo. He was playing the Taboo album by Arthur Lyman, which I was really familiar with -- but it sounded AMAZING. 

• 2 months later...
And 82 years later we're watching and listening to it on computer with speakers so close together that it might as we'll be mono. Even so, cool historical stuff. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer how the playback systems have gone downhill in terms of fidelity. Earbuds and computer speakers are probably the primary playback systems for the majority of people out there - which is probably a good reason to check your mixes these days on some sort of a bandwidth-restricted / limited system in addition to your primary high-accuracy monitors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, back in the day, most studios had a pair of crappy speakers sitting up on the console so at some point during mixdown they could check to see how it would on a car radio. And a lot of fairly-crappy mixes from the 60s and 70s are such specifically because of trying to make them sound great over small radios. So paying attention to the poor fidelity of what most consumers listen to is nothing new.

What changed is there really isn't much of a Hi-Fi market anymore. But I think maybe the flip side for that is that what I'd call "mid-fi" is greatly improved. Standard-issue car audio is greatly improved. iPod docks sound better than most old table clock radios used to. Home theater systems are common-place. There's probably more opportunities to connect people with the idea of hi-fi than there used to be. It's giving them the desire for it that is the trick, I think.

Archived