Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

ANother quick diddy--just jamin' around for a few hours ..my 16 year old nephew & wife wrote the lyrics. Only my 3rd time on harp..I only have the one key:rolleyes:

Lot of sequencing of single drum tracks, on the Kurzweils, I wrote

..and about 8 tracks of vocals..Don't really listen to Rap--so not sure the genre with this one...

KaLeeFornYa:rolleyes:

• Members

"" C JoGo--how i'd like to hear a 1920 kalamazoo guitar! i couldn't open the link. (550/.public/MAJIK.mp3: No such file or directory)""

This one should load, now:confused:

M A J I K

A dual mic --- NTK over the middle of the neck ( which he leaned into to sing , also ) and a AT 4033 on the bottom of this 20's Kalamazoo( which looked worse than WIllie Nelsons' guitar)

--one-take...so not too much seperation on vocal/guitar...just the way this artist likes to work..

• Members

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some fresh ears to help me out with theses mixes.I do all instruments and mixing. I do not record or really have any control on how the vocals that are beng recorded.I get them dry and in some cases processed.

The first song is called "Eyes On You" It would be under Buzz&Spirithunter.

This is my first mix attemp for this tune.

The second song is called "Elefunkey". This would be under Frozenbones Project.

http://www.freewebs.com/fracturecomposer/mp3s.htm

Some of the equiptment i use...

Protools 6.7

LA-610

Blue Mic

Gibson LesPaul

Vox and Fender amps

Any input would great!

Thanks

Bob

• Members

hey spirithunter...

i downloaded 'eyes on me' and i really like the song itself, although it seems a little long for that style of song. Also, the measure or two before the chorus started seemed to suck up the energy. Besides that i loved the peaks and valleys of the verse and chorus.

when it came to the mixing i would say that maybe the vocals have a little too much effect on them, i could stand to hear a little more dry vocals. it also seemed like the vocals were a little bit behind in some spots?? i like the voice itself though, and i think you did a good job singing.

i liked most of the guitar work, but they seemed a little bit lose in some spots (distorted parts) and i thought the distortion may have been a little bit shreddy for that style of music.. but maybe that's just me.

One thing i think your mix might be lacking is the use of backup vocals... I know it's not required to make a good song, but (as a bad religion fan) i find it extremely powerful in great songs.

overall i think it's a good song. I give it a B

keep up the good work, i'll download the next one soon.

• Members

Hi coldmetalcore,

Thanks for the input it is what i was looking for. The music is a tune i came up with about a month ago with no idea how the vocal might sound with it .At that time i was posting it on different sites looking for a singer to mess with it.

I know the vocals are being recorded with a Shure58 going into a sound blaster card! That explain the sound(lol) and i've been working with the timing issue with the vocals as well and it is getting a lot better than it was but it needs more work. No backup vocals track for the chorus. I wish i did though.

The guitar are a little loud and as time goes on i am hearing that. What can i say i am a guitar player.lol

Thanks again for the feedback

-Bob

• Members

Check out my newest recording: www.nebbish.org. Listen to "Ben One" (should be on the left, about halfway down.)

I recorded it on a Zoom Mrs-1044 with a bunch of sub $100 mic's and some direct to recorder stuff. I sent the drums through an old Peavey PA board and recorded them to 2 tracks because that's all I can do with the Zoom. Obviously I'm very amateur, but please give me "strict" feedback anyway; I want to absolutely max out the quality of my recordings before I advance to better and more expensive equipment. Also, tell me what you think of my band.

One idiotic question to end the day: should I use a pre-amp on the drums? If so, is it best to put the pre-amp after the mixing board and before the recorder or should I use it for individual drums? The recorder has some preset "pre-amp" modules but I suspect they pale in comparison to a real tube.

• Members

Ok... Me and my bro just finished our first project ever... we're pretty enthused about it. We know the guitars are pretty bad, and not loud enough among a few other things, but we'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=388158

p.s. I have 56k. Not by choice, I simply don't have the option in southern west virginia. and by 56k i really mean about 30k.

I only downloaded one song because the last few all seem to be streaming media instead of downloadable mp3s. sorry.. and i hope you all understand.

thanks!!

• Moderators

We just released our album on Zip Records! Mark DeCerbo and Four Eyes. I'm one of the eyes...

I played bass, shared guitar duties, keys, vocalized in the background, etc., recorded it at my studio, mastered, coproduced it, cowrote a couple.

Here's what Not Lame Records said about it...

"These are sophisticated, carefully crafted, extremely well produced songs that have had a lot of thought put into them to yield the delights here. Theres an intimate feel to all this gorgeous material and its never in a rush to get to that catchy chorus. This one that will reward and grow extreme pleasure, rest assured. Big Time Extremely Highly Recommended!"

And now I present this labour of Power Pop Love to you in the form of horrible sounding MP3 clips! Mmmm, tastes good! Enjoy.

http://www.ziprecords.com/artists/markdecerbo/index.shtml

Hey Lee - well done. :cool: I particularly liked the classic jangle of tracks like "Add Water" and "Goin' Places". Good stuff. I also enjoyed "Neophyte, and detect a bit of Costello influence in the vocal approach on that one. Again, well done all the way around! :cool:

I'm headed to listen to the MP3 you emailed me next... :D

• Moderators

I think this sounds great. If you're looking for suggestions, or things to try here are a couple, but I think it sounds great as is...

Try spreading things out a bit maybe?

Ac guitar 50% to the left with a nice room ambience spread 100% left and staight up the middle.

Elec guitar (nice playing!)I'd do the same opposite side with the same type ambience. The electric needs to be put just slighly behind the voice, not in level but with the ambience.

Bass sounds great but I'd go for more subs. Like Freebo used to do with Bonnie Raitt. Cool natural tone but with a bit more 60Hz.

Nice vocal tone .

It's bitchin' though as is.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Hey Lee - well done.
:cool:
I particularly liked the classic jangle of tracks like "Add Water" and "Goin' Places". Good stuff. I also enjoyed "Neophyte, and detect a bit of Costello influence in the vocal approach on that one. Again, well done all the way around!

I'm headed to listen to the MP3 you emailed me next...
:D

Thanks for the nice words Phil. This was done when I was still at 16bit and it was tough at times to make it present sounding without it piercing your skull with like sonic laser beam.

The Neil Diamond cover I sent you was at 24bit and much easier to pound into shape. That's my buddy John Chatfield doing his best Truth era Jeff Beck impersonation. Go Johnny go!

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Nice job Steve.
Are you thinking about leaving it "drumless"? IMO, I think some goovin' drums (or maybe some hand percussion) on that track would help flesh it out a bit.

yeah, I've been thinking about that...thought I'd try percussion first, see how that sounds, maybe cut some drums if it calls for it...I dunno

Thanks for the feedback Lee, I might try more stereo imaging, I haven't had too much luck with that in the past with something so sparse but I will give it a try

• Members

'Ello! I'm quite new here, been lurking for a while, though. :)

I have one song I made some time last year and got a proper vocalist to sing on it this spring (I have no voice for singing whatsoever...:p). I have dabbled a bit in the home recording/mixing territory but I'd still call myself noob to all this...

Now I'd just like to have a second opinion if I have any hope or should I give up and find myself a new hobby. ;):D

About the song: bass and all guitars are recorded straight to my computer (yeh, I know, should get a DI-box some day...) by me except the solo (my friend played that one). I used the Guitarsuite JCM900 plug-in for the guitars. Drums are NS-kit samples tracked with ModPlug tracker. The vocals were recorded by a friend across the Atlantic so I have no idea what gear he used...

Song

There are some playing mistakes but don't let them bug ya. And I know the lyrics make very little sense... :D

All feedback appreciated. :)

Originally posted by marcellis

I'll try this once more.

Brand new - last week. Latin lounge.

A Woman from Cuba

Would be grateful for some tips on mixing.

Well, I have not had the chance to run it over to the studio yet, but on my el cheapo computer monitors, it sounds to me like you might want to pull down the lead instrument part - IMO, it's really too loud. It's overpowering everything else IMO.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to listen earlier. :(

I really don't always check out every song that gets linked - I do try to get in and listen to some things when I can (always following the 3-4 songs reviewed before submitting something of my own for everyone else to hear guideline ;) ) but for those who I may have missed, I apologise. Of course, if you want to ask for my specific opinions folks, please feel free to post the link here and then drop me an email or PM, and I'll try to give it a listen just as soon as I can get to it. :)