Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

www.myspace.com/richwithlove

The first song, "Home". This was my first attempt with my new setup.

SM-57 - Acoustic

PG-58 - Vocals - I know I need a better vocal mic

Lexicon Alpha USB

Adobe Audition

Go ahead and critique the mix, mastering, recording. This was my first attempt at mastering I'm particularly interested in what you think of that.

• Members

www.bebo.com/lovelesslemon

Septic, Nervous System and Dog Eggs were recorded at our other guitarist's teacher's studio and Applause is a home job so the kit sounds a bit crap (not tuned, our drummer's snare is crap etc.). I mixed all the tracks at home and it's my first foray into mixing. Feedback would be much appreciated on anything....

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wanted to get some feedback on this, my first official home-studio recording. I'm applying things I've learned here on HC!

Towit: it's done on a boss br1600, I recorded the drums with "recorderman" overheads plus kick (the snare kinda disappeared in the mix).

mic'd acoustic 12 (and overheads) with a km184, bass went thru a UA 610, sang lead into kms 32 . . did backups into the 184s too, just to see what would happen.

did some eq on the 12-string, which brought out a nice pick-strum tone. I like the overall feel, and I'm happy enough with the results of trying out new e-quip, but I do realize it reeks of 'demo.' So, any ideas would be cool.

http://www.geoffreywelchman.com/images/Spatula!.mp3

also, NEROL . . I really liked the sound on Images, and frankly, the drums didn't bother me at all. my son (13) listens to a lot of metal, and symphonic metal, and I've noticed the drums (especially the kick) are mixed with a lot more "click" than "thwack" than I'm used to. your sound seemed like a good compromise to me.

• Members

I would really appreciate some commenting on the mix (song comments welcome too of course, but I'm specifically interested in the mix).

I like the song, I like the harmonies, I like the layering, but I feel like the volumes are never as even as they should be, no matter how much I tweak. Is it just a matter of compression/expansion? I'd be thrilled to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.freerobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2006-09-25-so-susie-stopped-sleeping.mp3

edit: some miscellaneous info:

I'm generally not a fan of compression--I really like keeping dynamic range in my recordings and I don't mind quieter mixes (think Elliott Smith, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.). The song was recorded, mixed and mastered on a Tascam 2488 with a microphone so lame I'm too embarrassed to say what it is (okay, okay, MXL 990). There are 10 or so tracks total. 4 guitars (2 stereo pairs) and 6 vocals.

I know a lot about recording technique, hardware and jargon, but I probably lack experience compared to most of you. That said I do hold my work to a high standard, so please don't hesitate to be overly critical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In Craig's forum a nice guy, called MrKnobs, regarding some bit/frequency rates discussions, said that he had the most boring sound samples made for his profession, that are recordings of flat tires running on different pavements and similar stuff. Maybe as a joke I asked him for some samples of those files, and he sent me them, 4 cuts 16bits/44.1khz wave files. Then he commented that he found my request a bit strange.... I rapidly made a track, in which the only sound sources used are those 4 snippets of test recordings done by MrKnobs. I've transposed, frequency shifted, filtered, sequenced, delayed, frequency modulated and quite heavily manipulated those apparently flat and boring sounds. No other samples, no other oscillators, except for LFO modulation of filters and slow ramps for the FleXor sequencers. Everything in Scope, obviously.

Field recordings by MrKnobs:

www.alfonsodamora.it/Demos/OldAsphalt.mp3

www.alfonsodamora.it/Demos/ImpTube.mp3

www.alfonsodamora.it/Demos/PorousPavement.mp3

www.alfonsodamora.it/Demos/Concrete.mp3

The same stuff after a bit of work:

www.alfonsodamora.it/Demos/On_The_Road.mp3

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My latest chaos.

Not sure what to think about this piece myself. Stayed up all night. Finished & mixed right in a row. Who knows how this will sound to me in the am. I used a synth horn patch in this. I hate horn patches. :) I'm still not sure why i did. My head was in a weird space with this one. I was sick of having this rhoads and drum part sitting on my drive unfinished. Now i can move on to the next.

Stuff i used.

Drum kit

Doumbek

Live

Bidule

bent tr-505

AAS LL EP

Bass guitar

ADM

ABL2

Sampletank hurdy gurrdy

Zebra horn patch

operator

& more mixing plugs then you want to know..

Enjoy

lid-closed.mp3

• Members

So I know i'm new here, and that doesn't lend itself to much respect. But I figure i'll offer this last page what it seems nobody has offered... Feedback.

wrdsnnuzik - Good rhythm, sounds like a 70's song, not that it's a bad thing, might just not be marketable towards where you're aiming. Vocals are a decent volume. Did u try dup'in your main vocal track and play with some effects on a spare track? Fill it out more? Tinny sound, and needs a lil more bass IMO. Otherwise, very decent effort.

Ambys - low volume. How much delay/reverb are you running? When u hit it, it harmonizes well. I hear 2-3 vocal tracks.. That one "ohhhhhh" is standing out too much, compress it or try and blend it another way? Try and fatten up that acoustic sound a lil ?

Gus Lozada - Good full clean sound, good rhythm, bass and over all frequency spectrum is decent. Vocals, again, sounds like it's got far too much dely/reverb in it. I do like the echo effect tho. But if u could focus on your vocals better, make them stand out to match the key.. it would come out better IMO. But that song is my fav among this last page.

N8wood - Listened to a series of your songs on your myspace, clean production, sounds like you guys got some time together. From monster which reminded me of deathcab for cutie, to onlist which reminded me of the cure (and I personally hate using comparisons to review people).... But generally, good stuff, non-offensive.

rhythemmind - good sounds, needs vocals to see how it ties in, but I know it's not what you're aiming for. Good use of instruments.

As for me, I know my stuff sucks, but i'm very close to understanding the truth within it, and thus, it'll change for the better over time. Just watch that delay and reverb in your vocals, you never hear any music like that. Getting used to your own vocals and willingness to put them to the front of your music is a learned trait, just like singing.

IMO of course :)

• Members

this is a demo of a song i wrote a couple of weeks ago. i reckon the quality aint to shabby considering im only 14 years old using a cheap mixer, free software and my room:) hasn't got any lyrics because i havn't written them yet. demo order goes verse - bridge - chorus.

tell me what you think and any constructive critisism welcome!

Cheers

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am kinda new to recording and am doing everything myself. I want some input on my mixing, as well as the sound of the guitars and bass and what not... Check out myspace.com/countcrackula and listen to the first two songs... They don't have drums yet, but I would love to hear some input on how to help them!

• Members

This is my first full on recording and mixing for a band. It was recorded on a Pro Tools HD system. I failed at a lot of points during actual recording as we were super rushed for time in the schools studio...(that's my excuse anyways :D)

The guitars were recorded with a multi-fx pedal board which didn't help matters.. The drums sounded like poop so I ended up using Drumagog. I think I salvaged it pretty decently but you be the judge.

The final mix was brought home and mixed on cheaper Fostex monitors.

Really looking for tips on the mix more then the quality.

http://www.myspace.com/thepanicstudio

Thanks.

• Members

hi there well we`ve been asked to give our views on a couple of the tracks so here goes,Amby`s susie overall i liked the song , the tone of the acoustic guitar was nice, the lead vocal was a good balance,back vocal (or side) could have been a bit further back, i didn`t like the reverb though, it was a bit dark and a bit too ringy but overall good,

Sadlytragic- i thought you did a realy good job,cymbals just a touch loud but i can`t really tell on my little monitors

n8wood-again i thought was spot on but again the cymbals seemed a touch loud at times,it must be my system

my contribution is just a cover version but i`m more interested in what you think of the mix ,this is my first attempt . i mixed it through an old jvc tranny amp and old solavox speakers which is used as an hi fi, jbl pc monitors and pioneer ear goggles.

www.myspace.com/catscurl :poke:

• Members

[quote=catscurlyear;28863910

my contribution is just a cover version but i`m more interested in what you think of the mix ,this is my first attempt . i mixed it through an old jvc tranny amp and old solavox speakers which is used as an hi fi, jbl pc monitors and pioneer ear goggles.

www.myspace.com/catscurl :poke:

Phuqing sweet guitar sound, like the other guitar under the solo, like the slightly jazzy wobble in the first solo, that wee bit of slide fits nicely as well.

The reverb in the vox is pretty good (might want to increase the level of the vox as well).

Which leaves the drums....not sure about them...plz dont get annoyed, but is that a backing track ure playing to?

I enjoyed listening to it, and if it was me mixing, i'd cream off the best bits of the solo, and bring the whole thing down to 3 and a half minutes.

anyway bro, respect, thats some good work, singings awright, lead guitar works fast and tight, mix is well acceptable.

see yeh on myspace ;)

• Members

This is just a song me and a buddy wrote and recorded in about 1-2 hours for fun. We don't actually play music like this or have much knowledge of recording/mixing. Just give me all of your opinions.

I will appreciate ANY feedback.

herd-1114.mp3

did somebody get out the wrong side of bed????

anyway, i was goannie jam over the top of yer wee intro bit, but ah gave up...yer tunings a bit funny? drop d or summat???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If anyone would like to share some feedback on any of my recordings, I'd love to hear it.

http://www.myspace.com/redhandrecording

I went for a pretty modern sound on most of them. "Isabelle" we had a bit of fun with. The Tom Petty cover was my first recording completely done in Pro Tools. I'm pretty meh on the guitar and bass tones. Not huge on the mix.

• Members

did somebody get out the wrong side of bed????

anyway, i was goannie jam over the top of yer wee intro bit, but ah gave up...yer tunings a bit funny? drop d or summat???

Thanks for the feedback. Nah, the whole song is played with 1 chord. "E" and some sort of variation of the chord. With some delay on it using a (i can't remember if it was a..) DD-2 or DD-3.

then the keys... IDK what was played there.

|---7-----7----------|

|---9-----9----------|

|---9-----8----------|

|--------------------|

|--------------------|

|--------------------|

edit: it is possible that the guitar was out of tune. But, I don't think it was. (i wasn't playing the guitar)

• Members

I have a dream that one day even the thread 'Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!', a thread sweltering with posts, sweltering with the heat of unanswered posts, will be transformed into an oasis of uncompromised posting space, appreciation and guidance. Thread per mix.

I have a dream that my two little eyes will one day see a forum where they will not see this endless thread.

Put your hands in the air for the new forum :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: