Are portable vocal booths any good?

• Moderators

Does anyone have any experience with the portable vocal booths. Are they any good? I've heard that people say that some of them will make the voice sound boxy, which is most likely counterproductive to the recording. Some of them just seem to be some acoustical foam glued on to a molded plastic shell (~$100). Whereas the expensive ones like the SE electronics reflexion filter pro ($300, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/se-electronics-reflexion-filter-pro) seem to have a more elaborate design. Anyone care to weigh in on this? Is the reflexion filter pro really worth it? and how much of a difference does it make to the recording?

BTW, Phil if you read this, can you please check your private messages? I have another concern I wish to address.

Thanks

• Moderators

I'm looking for a balanced vocal sound. I want the sound to be dry enough to mix properly but without killing the overtones. Space is a bit tight too, don't have the luxury of a live room. Right now I'm using the 'corner blanket' technique (singer facing away from the corner), which pretty much takes care of the reflections, but I'm worried that it might be falsely colouring the sound.

Archived