Not sure about this recording thing.. AMATEUR TEENAGER

• Members

Yeah so I got an audiobox and condenser mic and studio 1 recording program, I know the basics so thats great! But Its hard haha! I often get a lot of background noise and stuff, is that because my mic isn't very good? I dont have a shock mount yet but its coming! :) So any advice for my litte recording studio! If you need a sample, they are on my youtube channel, I only have one up and thats skinny love, the other was recorded by my phone ha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Took a quick listen. First kudos to you for doing this your self. Great voice too. Just need to work on the technical side a bit.

First off is you are recording in an untreated room. So there's gonna be noises and extra reverb. Not sure treating a room is an option for you, but you might try putting blankets up around you and see if that helps.

I also hear some hiss. But honestly I'm listening through the speaker of my phone. Don't even have earbuds with me at the moment. That's a probably a gain staging/noisy mic issue. I'm assuming you're recoding the vocals and piano on separate tracks? If so when you're playing it back mute each channel separately and see which one has more hiss.

If it's the piano you either need to turn it's level up. Unless it's already maxed. And in the case turn it down. And a good di might help.

If it's the vocal mic, how high is the gain on the preamp? If it's really high turn it down and then move the mic closer so you get a similar level.

Hope some of that hopes. And maybe tomorrow I can give it a better listen.

• Members

A shockmount won't do anything about hiss.  You sound VERY compressed.  Heavy compression/limiting can bring up the noise floor to unpleasant levels.  I would say try backing down the compression a bunch... you have no dynamics at all in that recording it sounds totally smashed, no surprise you have more noise than you want.

Archived