How would you describe the Avalon VT-737?

• Members

I may be getting an Avalon VT-737 in the next day or two for an absurdly cheap price, and it's actually in part to help out a friend. And vice versa. It's the purple knob version, not the SP. I believe the 737 SP's microphone input transformer has greater headroom than the microphone input transformer in the purple-knobbed 737, and that the purple knob version is the original version of the 737. I'm not familiar with this unit at all, so I'm just getting up to speed on what I'm getting here.

How would you generally characterize the mic preamps? Generally quite clean? Does it do "dirty" well?

How would you characterize the EQ or the compressor?

Just curious. Any sort of description based on use would be interesting. Thanks!

• Members

It's true. And with one-phrase comments.

"Sucks balls."

"Clinical and wimpy"

"You can't make a good sounding record with that"

Then there are comments like the following that are simply useless:

"I'm also looking to get a 737, but have also herd it was a bit too transparent for being tube"

"not a fan of the 737. I have 2. the're cause the look "cool" For vocals"

"Get a Neve style mic instead. Great River, Bae etc. The 737 is junk."

Or entertaining:

"I think the 737 is like the Gearslutz version of "that one cheerleader" at your highschool. She's actually pretty cute, but EVERYONE'S banged her, so she's basically chopped liver."

UstadKhanAli wrote:

Well, of course, I should have known that GearSlutz would discuss the Avalon ad nauseum. Still would love to hear a general description of the characteristics of the mic preamps, EQ, and compressor from others who have used it.

It's been several years since I've heard / used one, but my POV is somewhat similar to Fletcher's, although I wouldn't lavish quite as much praise on the EQ as he did. In other words, it's okay, with a decent EQ, but there's stuff out there I like better. I'm not a huge Avalon fan either I guess. I don't think they're bad, but there's almost always something in the same price class that I seem to like better than whatever they're offering.

Archived