Fender HM Strat - Kahler Spyder opinions.....>>?

Mazi Bee

• Members

Thinking about picking up an old Fender HM Strat.

Has one of those Kahler Spyder trems. Looks pretty solid, but it looks like the string locking screws may be stripped.

Question is, how are those Spyder trems and is it worth fixing? Kahlerusa has all the parts available these days so finding replacements won't be a problem.

• Members

Well, I've got one that was "fitted" (I use the term in it's broadest sense) to a model 1 beater I have here, and it's been absolutely fine.

As long as it's maintained properly, no problems!

If it's not missing any bits, a strip down and lube should have it working well.

• Members

Originally posted by metalheadUK

Well, I've got one that was "fitted" (I use the term in it's broadest sense) to a model 1 beater I have here, and it's been absolutely fine.

As long as it's maintained properly, no problems!

If it's not missing any bits, a strip down and lube should have it working well.

I think the problem on this one is an abusive allen wrench technique has stripped the holes on the string locking screws. You've had no problem with that?

• Members

I have a Spyder on a recently purchased Alvarez. My lock nut is missing screws and blocks so the trem is currently blocked, so I can't say much about how well it works. It seems solid and I'm impressed with how it's built. I did have problems with the E & B strings pulling out of the bridge. It's possible to leave the balls on and run the string through the bridge.

Kahler does have the replacement screws for the lock nut available. They do not have the blocks and implied that they didn't have parts for these as they were discontinued 15 years ago.

On a side note, whoever answers their email seems to have a problem with reading comprehension.

• Members

Originally posted by ending_zero

I have a Spyder on a recently purchased Alvarez. My lock nut is missing screws and blocks so the trem is currently blocked, so I can't say much about how well it works. It seems solid and I'm impressed with how it's built. I did have problems with the E & B strings pulling out of the bridge. It's possible to leave the balls on and run the string through the bridge.

Kahler does have the replacement screws for the lock nut available. They do not have the blocks and implied that they didn't have parts for these as they were discontinued 15 years ago.

On a side note, whoever answers their email seems to have a problem with reading comprehension.

I think as far as the nut goes, youre right., they still sell the bolts online and that's all I'd probably need on that end. They still seem to have quite a bit for that bridge considering it is pretty old.

http://www.kahlerparts.com/X_pages/X_2720_Spyder.htm

Have you tried to see if regular locking blocks from a floyd nut would fit?

Also try fretsonthenet.com. Dave has a bunch of used parts there.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

I think as far as the nut goes, youre right., they still sell the bolts online and that's all I'd probably need on that end. They still seem to have quite a bit for that bridge considering it is pretty old.

Have you tried to see if regular locking blocks from a floyd nut would fit?

Also try fretsonthenet.com. Dave has a bunch of used parts there.

They also have a diagram like that for the lock nut with part numbers listed. That diagram clearly shows the blocks that are not available. If that guitar needs parts, I'd check with Kahler to be sure they're available before buying.

I'm planning to grind some Floyd blocks so they will clear the string tree on the back of the nut. I think the Floyd blocks would work without modification if the tree were removed, but the guitar doesn't have a string tree on the headstock.

I just checked fretsonthenet.com and they have the lock nut screws for $.30. I don't see the blocks. I may email to check.

• Members

I have a Spyder on my HM Strat. My nut locking bolts are fine but I've never kept them tight. I can twist them with my fingers. I never felt the need to tighten them down as it stays in tune without locking the strings. As for the bridge, all the allen wrench screws are close to being stripped. The metal is soft and doesn't stand up over time, otherwise I'm content with the system. I've had the guitar for 17 years.

• Members

Originally posted by Therent

I have a Spyder on my HM Strat. My nut locking bolts are fine but I've never kept them tight. I can twist them with my fingers. I never felt the need to tighten them down as it stays in tune without locking the strings. As for the bridge, all the allen wrench screws are close to being stripped. The metal is soft and doesn't stand up over time, otherwise I'm content with the system. I've had the guitar for 17 years.

Cool. I broke down and bought it after work. The guy spent all afternoon setting it up and putting new strings on.

Looks like the trem should last, but I'll probably get some replacement parts anyway, for later if I need em.

:)

Archived