stereo mic'ing in omni?

• Members

do you do it?.. if so, what method do you use?

i have a mojave ma100 sdc... LOVE it with the omni capsule ... i currently have the chance to pick up another one at a great price, and while i'm sure i'll use them as a pair with the cardoid capsules, i want to use them in omni too

obviously, i'll experiment with positioning etc, but thought it would be good to hear what works for you guys

mistersully wrote:

do you do it?.. if so, what method do you use?

i have a mojave ma100 sdc... LOVE it with the omni capsule ... i currently have the chance to pick up another one at a great price, and while i'm sure i'll use them as a pair with the cardoid capsules, i want to use them in omni too

obviously, i'll experiment with positioning etc, but thought it would be good to hear what works for you guys

I'm kind of old-school when it comes to omnis... I don't use them a lot for stereo, but when I do, it's usually as A-B / Spaced Pairs.

• Members

True omni mics (pressure capsules) won't give you much stereo in XY, because the angle of incidence (i.e. where they're pointed) has little effect on their response. A-B or Jecklin disc (closely spaced with a disc shaped barrier between) can produce some very nice stereo, however.

Proper distance between the mics, and from mics to source can be problematic in A-B pairs, and a fair amount of experimentation is usually called for. I've had very good results with spaced omnis on drum kits and acoustic ensembles - not so much for close micing an individual instrument. For single instruments (piano, guitar etc.) a Jecklin disc will give better results.

mistersully wrote:

i've never used a Jecklin disc... i'm going to look into making one... thanks fellas

I need to make one too. Please let me know if you see anything interesting out there online on the subject of making one.

I'd also love to try building a DIY binaural dummy head microphone setup someday.

Archived