335 sound

RossW

• Members

If you had to describe the sound of a 335, how would you do it? I mean, how would you say the sound was different from a solid body?

I need to provide a description and I don't think that it would be ok to say that the 335 just sounds "different"!!

• Members

Originally posted by RossW

If you had to describe the sound of a 335, how would you do it? I mean, how would you say the sound was different from a solid body?

I need to provide a description and I don't think that it would be ok to say that the 335 just sounds "different"!!

Warm & woody. Rich. Midrange. Sweet.

You really need to hear the difference live and loud. One of the charactaristics of a semi hollow is the available feedback, controlable feedback. Hit a note, let it ring and move around the amp until the note blooms. Different notes will respond at different locations on stage. I've known guys who will literaly 'map' their area and move to a certain spot to highlight a note.:thu:

• Members

Agreed. However, most don't give the 335 credit for being lively, punchy. Mine can sound telecaster like...

Do most play with both pu's? I tend to use the neck pup, but when I want it to wail, I switch to the bridge pup.

• Members

Originally posted by
RossW

Do most play with both pu's? I tend to use the neck pup, but when I want it to wail, I switch to the bridge pup.

I mostly play my Strat - I think the 335 is wasted on me :freak:.

However, when I do play it, I love the neck PU for clean lead, neck+bridge for clean rhythm and the bridge for smooth distortion.

:cool:

• Members

fat and sweet in the midrange, sometimes mellow, sometimes rock, great musical feedback

they can sound radically different with certain amps, players...but never bad to my ears

kid charlemagne, don't take me alive, oh yeah

• Members

Woodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoodywoody

WOOOOOOODY!!!

And awesome, and cool, and throaty, and bashy-clashy, generally cool.

• Members

Originally posted by keith2112

Or you could go and listen to Rush Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. I believe Alex used it on all of Permanant Waves too. Then if you want to hear what a strat with a bridge humbuker through a marshall combo sounds like listen to exit stage left.

big fan here, he used 335's on a lot back in the day

hemispheres is a killer cut and definitely had it's own sound, but tonewise I crave some of his more minimalist 335 tones

like some of the raw rock moments from the first 3 albums that couldn't be anything but him standing near a cranked amp in the feedback zone :thu:

it's the guitar forum but I gotta say, exit stage left also contains one of the coolest bass tones in live rock recordings

• Members

Originally posted by
brave_ulysses

Clapton could play the {censored} out of a 335:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUpc0YNkkJ0

He still uses the one he's had since the early 60's.

That's a great concert :thu:.

Actually, Clapton auctioned off that guitar, along with a bunch of others, in 2004. It fetched $847,500.

Details here:

http://www.whereseric.com/ecfaq/guitars-amps/2004-christies-guitar-auction-eric-clapton-blackie-cherry-red-gibson-335-cream-guitar.html

• Members

there are a great range of sounds from a 335, so I'm not sure what *the* sound is.

They can be chimey and bright, almost like a fat, round tele tone.

They can be fat and woody, almost like an arch top jazzer

They can rock out with the best LPs.

they can.....

shoot, you get the picture:thu:

• Members

Many 335 style guitars are made with a maple body. Maple, compared with mahogany, sounds brighter. Add an ebony (vs Rosewood) fretboard and you're even brighter.

Now I presume your question pertain to a GOOD 335 because you don't want to know how a $199. chinese 335 copy sounds like.

Archived