The OFFICIAL Edward Van Halen vs. Randy Rhoads Thread

evh1984

• Members

Ok, it seems like everyone's always comparing these two guys. Came into the public eye around the same time, both from Cali, both able to play just about anything, both great innovators and influencers. Unfortunately, Randy died tragically young and Edward has all but slipped into obscurity.

The question is: Which one wins in a head-to-head guitar duel and why?

van_eddie.180.jpg

rhoads.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you compare them back the way they were, then Eddie would win for sheer guitar destruction. If Randy were still here, he would be AMAZING. Unfortunately, we know what Eddie's been up to these days. Hope he gets his alcoholism under control. I have seen them both live and they were both fantastic ,although I was really wasted for the VH show. I'm surprised I even remember it. Diary of a Madman was my first concert ever.

• Members

hmm ... two of my favs for the last 10 years ... hmm ...

Well If this was 1981 I'd say Ed because at that point he was more mature in his Guitar God status, and had a more over the top stage presence.

But talk about untapped potential lost forever ...

If this were 1985 and Randy had lived, and continued on the same path then I think Randy would have matured and he would have been completely and unequivocably unique, and I think even if ed was more flamboyant, he couldn't at that point have played with quite as much class and taste as class and taste as Randy so if they were cutting heads, I think Randy would have won (would have been like the end of crossroads the movie x10).

I also think if Randy had lived we would be living in a different and more mature musical world right now (not that where we are is not mature, but he would have raised the bar for everyone even higher than he did).

I can't say anything bad about Ed as a guitarist though. He just rules.

• Members

What really got me thinking about this, besides the fact that it's been mentioned on HC so many times recently, was I listened to "Suicide Solution" from the RR Tribute where he does the solo in the middle. It almost sounds like RR is giving some props to EVH at the beginning (def. copying the "Eruption" intro chord progression), then he rips into some amazing classical shredding. I think RR's out of tune most of that song, but his amazing talent lets him pull it off. However, I can't see ANYONE standing up to EVH in his prime in a head-to-head guitar duel.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

both those guys kick{censored}!

I'm not even sure how one wins at guitar

Watch the head cuttin duel at the end of Crossroads. When Ralph Macchio busts out that tasty bit that Vai can't match... he wins.

• Members

Originally posted by Zappa74

Watch the head cuttin duel at the end of Crossroads. When Ralph Macchio busts out that tasty bit that Vai can't match... he wins.

that movie sucks -- dude has to resort to his classical to win when the movie is supposed to be about blues

suckola, baby!

• Members

i think most metal heads think randy is better. he's more organized in his solos, his rhythm playing is pretty basic compared to eddie. ed's rhythm playing is so damn complex and his leads have wierd phrasing to it too, and ed's more blues based in his solos. eddie's brand of rock guitar is so unique, like the guy came from some outerspace. randy's sound was not as unique as ed, i think, but randy has a great ear for melody. and he definitely knew how to make a really great solo. technique-wise though, i think randy's lead chops was faster and cleaner.

• Members

the good wine and a good beer comment is pretty good. I think tone wise, Eddie by far kills Randy. As far as potential goes, I think that if you take Eddie from VH1 to Fair Wairning you may have a pretty accurate sketch of the body of work period that RR had. If that is the case, EVH is God compared to RR. Both have/had very distinct styles, I say distinct, because I dont know that RR was very unique. He was kinda the crossbread between Eddie and say Yngwie's style of playing. I think maybe the mark of a great player is his rhythm playing and EVH rips RR a new one at that. If Randy had lived I think he would have gotten out of Ozzies band. EVH on the other hand, well we all know whats happened to him, lately but I think some of Eddie's most complex work is his least appreciated work 95-98. Anyways, I think that yes I'm extremely bias, just look at my screename, but at the same time, I do think at the height of their powers, Eddie still wins, but maybe barely. They should be appreciated for what they brought to music and how they influenced us as players...

• Members

Despite having owned a 5150 and currently owning a Wolfgang I only started listening to Van Halen very recently, and i've got to be honest it doesn't do a lot for me.

I'm probably going to get slated for this, but the best solo i've heard EVH do was on Beat It!!! the rest of his stuff just sounds so random and disjointed to me, he can clearly play, but I find Randy Rhoads a lot easier on the ear.

"I don't know" solo from Blizzard of Ozz, class

Archived