I wonder how the dude who was going to sell a million albums in a year is doing?

BlueStrat

• Members

LOL I stayed out of his original thread because Daddymack mentioned that he wanted us to "play nice" and I wanted to respect that, but I really think he is one of those people who have a serious self esteem deficit, but not in the normal way...For him to feel worthwhile he needed to get attention and admiration from others via a delusional proclamation. Folks like that are so out of touch with reality that they can't see how they REALLY come off to other people; they are fulfilled by merely talking about something. For people like him, just by talking about it they get the ego boost they are looking for.

I went and watched the video with the snippet at the end from the first track he completed--and I have to say, even though the guy seems to have a bit of trouble singing on key, which he should probably work on (or at least fix with Autotune), the song itself wasn't necessarily horrible. He does seem to have some degree of songwriting talent. Will he sell a million records? Not a chance. But 100? 200? 1000? It's possible, if he has a good enough idea of who his audience is. If he's trying to appeal to fellow musicians, or the hip tastemakers in most music circles, he might as well forget it. But the sooner he figures out that it isn't his music, but his story that he's selling, the more of a chance he has, I think. And I have a hunch he has figured it out to a degree.

Who is likely going to buy this guy's music? Very likely, people who have no idea how the music industry works, and think it's actually possible for this guy to sell a million records if he tries hard enough, and want to help him out. This demographic tends to consist of a lot of suburban housewifes who might be touched by the fact that he's just a regular guy going after his "dream", after putting it on the backburner in order to raise a family. Keep in mind, we live in a culture where Oprah's word is like gospel, and The Secret is a best-selling book, and William Hung had a charting album. The main appeal of American Idol is not the music, but the idea that regular people can become stars. The catchphrase of the age is that you can do anything if you believe in yourself enough. If he plays up that angle, he might just do OK. He might even be able to make a nice career for himself as a motivational speaker, or a self-help guru. Just as long as he doesn't operate under the misconception that any success he has will be due to the greatness of his music.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Image is pretty much everything, and if you don't have an image you better atleast have a good singing voice. This guy missed out on both, and that kohls kid wolf shirt pony tail isn't doing anything better for him. He seems to have that mentality that if he has the ability to sing, he must be good at singing. One of those people who hear their own voice and DON'T over analyze it, like a normal person does.

• Members
's word is like gospel, and The Secret is a best-selling book, and William Hung had a charting album. The main appeal of American Idol is not the music, but the idea that regular people can become stars. The catchphrase of the age is that you can do anything if you believe in yourself enough. If he plays up that angle, he might just do OK. He might even be able to make a nice career for himself as a motivational speaker, or a self-help guru. Just as long as he doesn't operate under the misconception that any success he has will be due to the greatness of his music.

I hope she doesn't find out about this guy. :facepalm:

• Members

as to the guy who claimed he had served, and recently separated, but didn't know what his DD214 was...well... yeah, that would be suspicious...

I know, right? There's just no way...that and the deer in the headlights look he had when I asked him, it was like he knew he had "gotten caught"...

• Members

I went and watched the video with the snippet at the end from the first track he completed--and I have to say, even though the guy seems to have a bit of trouble singing on key, which he should probably work on (or at least fix with Autotune), the song itself wasn't necessarily horrible. He does seem to have some degree of songwriting talent. Will he sell a million records? Not a chance. But 100? 200? 1000? It's possible, if he has a good enough idea of who his audience is. If he's trying to appeal to fellow musicians, or the hip tastemakers in most music circles, he might as well forget it. But the sooner he figures out that it isn't his music, but his
story
that he's selling, the more of a chance he has, I think. And I have a hunch he has figured it out to a degree.

Who is likely going to buy this guy's music? Very likely, people who have no idea how the music industry works, and think it's actually possible for this guy to sell a million records if he tries hard enough, and want to help him out. This demographic tends to consist of a lot of suburban housewifes who might be touched by the fact that he's just a regular guy going after his "dream", after putting it on the backburner in order to raise a family. Keep in mind, we live in a culture where Oprah's word is like gospel, and The Secret is a best-selling book, and William Hung had a charting album. The main appeal of American Idol is not the music, but the idea that regular people can become stars. The catchphrase of the age is that you can do anything if you believe in yourself enough. If he plays up that angle, he might just do OK. He might even be able to make a nice career for himself as a motivational speaker, or a self-help guru. Just as long as he doesn't operate under the misconception that any success he has will be due to the greatness of his music.

I hadn't thought of that angle at all, I suppose it's possible, but to me it just screams of a desperate cry for attention and is all about what I posted rather than an attempt to actually physically accomplish anything, like I said I think for him it's a case of just by posting what he did on youtube it makes it real for him and gives him the self worth he needs and that's all he wants to get out of it and has no intention of TRULY striving for what he claims he is trying to achieve. I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

NO way man.....

I really hope he fails miserably, cause if he doesn't, and makes it big, it will prove that there is no justice in the world.

Because it will say {censored} the artist, all you have to be is a master of hype....

why? you haven't already come to that conclusion without this guy's existence? it IS all hype. that's all it has been for years.

• Members

Agree totally. I don't really know who's a bigger tool, this guy, or the people who actually want this freak to succeed.

And the bigger point is, really, "Bringin back that fun 80's music", which if I remember correctly, the OP stated as one of his goals. Why would we care about his feeble attempts when there are perfectly competent artists doing this already?

i'll gladly be the bigger tool to you. Now i want him to sell 1,000,000,000 just to piss the ones who believe in artistic justice off.

you're absolutely the voice of reason here. :rolleyes:

• Members

why? you haven't already come to that conclusion without this guy's existence? it IS all hype. that's all it has been for years.

:confused::confused::confused:

Miley Cirus is a real genuine talent!!!

• Members

Absolutely....but I surely don't need to be reminded of that fact by the likes of this Idiot......

• Members

Absolutely....but I surely don't need to be reminded of that fact by the likes of this Idiot......

:) fair enough. the good thing (and the thing i'm rooting for; even if only in principle since i think he's not all that special or interesting as a musician) is that he's DIY'er and he's underscoring the whole "direct marketing" direction that the industry is taking.... i didn't vet him too deeply, but i don't THINK he has "big majors" plans....most people i talk to who have huge dreams of selling large numbers of records include the name of at least 3 or 4 of the major labels when declaring their goals.... you could probably make the argument that it's a necessary evil, but it's certainly not as necessary of an evil as it was in past decades.... the dinosaurs are dying (or, at the very least, they're suffering bone loss :lol: ....i'm {censored}ing hilarious...i crack me up) and this mook is a prime example of it for me.

20 years ago, a kid like this wouldn't have it "figured out" in the same way. it used to be "some incredibly enlightened* A&R rep from [enter name of artist-reaming robbery outlet here] will come to our show in the local tavern and be blown away and offer us a contract that will buy us the mercedes." Was that concept really that much brighter than this guy's? (Some intelligent musicians i know and worked with believed this at their core at one point in their development.)...i can't fault him for being clueless. EVERYONE in this industry is {censored}ing clueless....why's HE the dick?

so i say more power to him. if he doesn't wind up offing himself by sticking a fork in a light socket or practicing gymnastics on a rooftop (or doing something else consistent with what i believe his mental capacity is), let him sell all the records to people who want to {censored} their money away on uninventive, skill-free music as he can. {censored}, i'll even buy one out of principle. God knows i've spent money enough on the {censored}ty music of friends and acquaintances just to support them. (That's harsh, but true...i'd appreciate it if we made that our little secret :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i'll gladly be the bigger tool to you. Now i want him to sell 1,000,000,000 just to piss the ones who believe in artistic justice off.

you're absolutely the voice of reason here.
:rolleyes:

And so it is... You are the bigger tool. You really paid $5???

Archived