Flying V comfort?

hcprimerib

• Members

Any Gibson Flying V players here? Do you find the body shape comfortable to play? What I'm getting at is that I had a Jackson USA KE-2 and it fatigued my picking hand when I played it, the only guitar to ever do that. I'm just curious if the V is like that. I have an explorer that feels right so I'm guessing the V would work for me too (I've always wanted a V).

• Members

I got my first Flying V a little over a month ago (took me over 35 years of playing before I did), and I have no complaints - very comfortable to play, and when I sit on a stool, I just put one of my feet on the floor and it rests up against my leg very comfortably.

Mine is based on the Gibson '58 Flying V - it is a custom made guitar, put together by a friend of mine.

• Members

I had an old Ibanez Rocket Roll for a while. It was great standing up. The long flat top was great for leaning your arm on and if horizontal it cocked the neck up to a comfy angle. The strap on the point made it feel roomy. Sitting down was a different thing though.

• Members

Originally posted by Thri11_H0use

V shaped guitars in general are awesome to play standing up. Sitting down is hit or miss depending on the player.

Then again.. who the hell buys a flying V just to sit down with!?

yep the whole reason to have a v body shape is stage presence

sure high fret acess is good but their are other "normal" guitar shapes w/ great high fret acess

• Members

Originally posted by zepfan976

yep the whole reason to have a v body shape is stage presence

sure high fret acess is goo but their are other "normal" guitar shapes w/ great high fret acess

very true. Alot of people say V's have the greatest access to the upper frets, which is totally untrue. Just look at the Ibanez RG..

But the V looks soooo kewl! :D

• Members

very true. Alot of people say V's have the greatest access to the upper frets, which is totally untrue. Just look at the Ibanez RG..

But the V looks soooo kewl!
:D

to me fret access with the V is easier than on an ibanez RG. why ? because the Ibanez RG has horns or cutaways. The V has none, nada, zilch. nothing gets in the way that's why it's easy to play the high registers. :D

• Members

But the V looks soooo kewl!

But Ibanez's RGs weren't out in the '50s!

Vs are my fav playing guitars, standing or sitting, I just leave the strap on and it hangs where it always does.

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

to me fret access with the V is easier than on an ibanez RG. why ? because the Ibanez RG has horns or cutaways. The V has none, nada, zilch. nothing gets in the way that's why it's easy to play the high registers.

My hands dont even touch the horns ;) The flying V has wood around the last frets I think its fret 17 and on), whereas the RG's body connects to the side of the fretboard at the 22nd fret!

• Members

Originally posted by Howard VA

I got my first Flying V a little over a month ago (took me over 35 years of playing before I did), and I have no complaints - very comfortable to play, and when I sit on a stool, I just put one of my feet on the floor and it rests up against my leg very comfortably.

Mine is based on the Gibson '58 Flying V - it is a custom made guitar, put together by a friend of mine.

That is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Archived