About Pickup Covers and Wax Potting...

ChrisWalker

• Members

Hi all. I've got my first ever replacement pickups on the way, DiMizario PAF pro and Super Distortion for my Vintage V100 LP copy.

Anyway, I'm fine with the actual installation but I bought some gold humbucker covers for the new pickups and wanna know if there is any alternative to wax potting the pickup with the cover soldered on. I'm assuming the new Pickups will already be waxed so it's just the covers right?

Is there an alternative like coating the inside of the covers in blue tack?! Or anything like that...

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

• Members

I would suggest putting the cover on and seeing if the pickup squeals or vibrates.

If it doesn't than dont worry about potting. If you are getting new rattles and squeals, I would wax pot them.

If you need them potted and do not want to do it yourself, shoot me a pm I offer this service through my business, BG Pups.

• Members

I recently put chrome pickup covers on an open coil Seymour Duncan Jazz and a Gibson 500T that I installed on my mid 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul copy. Neither one was wax potted and they are fine. I soldered the cover to the Gibson pickup, but experimented with the Duncan - just slipping it over the pickup without soldering. It fit tightly, and I haven't any problem at all with either one with noise.

Archived