Is it hard to tune a floyd rose also?

Hello111

• Members

I have had guitars with Floyds for years. The only time it is hard to restring is when you don't do them one at a time or you change string gauge. I suppose you could add changing tuning pitch as well.

Keeping the tension balanced between the springs and strings is what is tricky. When you change them one at a time you maintain equilibrium between the two. Once balanced mine hardly ever goes out of tune very far, even with heavy use.

• Members

Ooh, well there's possibility I'm getting my new guitar tomorrow.

Are there any guides online that explain the thing you said about "one string at a time"? I've heard about that alot, but don't quite know it yet, since I've never had a guitar with a floyd rose on it.

• Members

I know it's "harder" to re-string a guitar with a floyd rose, but is the same with tuning?

it's harder to tune yes. period. even when changing them one string at a time you will have to keep twistin' them tuning machines for a couple of minutes. HOWEVER, once you stretch them strings out, have the strings tuned to pitch, bridge leveled, and everything locked, it's hard make them go out of tune! mine can stay in tune for months if i didn't change strings so frequently. That is, provided you have a good floyd rose!

• Members

There's plenty. Try
www.google.com
The Floyd Rose is pretty straight forward.

very helpful

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/index.htm

here's where i learned most of how to setup one of them things and

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

there's where i learned the rest

i read up before i bought the Ibanez RG1570 i have. Very helpful stuff.

read everything. if you have any questions you can pm me cuz there's no search and this thread will eventually sink

• Members

This is a very simple way to do it and the author explains it very well.

http://www.musicgearsource.com/colar1.html

I guess I'm just used to them since I had my first Floyd in the very early 80's but I have never, ever had problems tuning them. I really find it astonishing that so many people have trouble with it.

I can pull all the strings off, restring, and have it in tune in about 10-15 minutes without blocking the Floyd.

• Members

Ooh, well there's possibility I'm getting my new guitar tomorrow.

Are there any guides online that explain the thing you said about "one string at a time"? I've heard about that alot, but don't quite know it yet, since I've never had a guitar with a floyd rose on it.

It's really pretty simple, remove and replace them one at a time. Don't move to the next string until you have stretched the one you are on and have tuned it to pitch. Remove & replace E string, stretch & tune, move to A string, stretch & tune, move to D string etc. until you are done then lock the nut back down.

• Members

The good thing is it's aclually really easy to repair a broken string on a Floyd guitar for me, usually they break at the saddle and i don't even need to get a new string a just unwind some string off the tuner and put it back into the Floyd. On a regular guitar you would have to get a new string.

• Members

The good thing is it's aclually really easy to repair a broken string on a Floyd guitar for me, usually they break at the saddle and i don't even need to get a new string a just unwind some string off the tuner and put it back into the Floyd. On a regular guitar you would have to get a new string.

Wow ive never heard that before! Im gonna give that a shot next time mine breaks!

• Members

No it isn't.

+1, if you follow the method linked above from the Floyd site, it is just as easy as any other guitar. They trick is to block the trem while you're doing all the work.

As Pete mentioned above, string changes and tuning can be done in around 15 minutes without blocking the bridge. But, when it comes to bridge levelling and intonation, blocking the bridge makes a huge job into something trivial.

• Members

You don't have to block a hard tail or a stop bridge, nor the loosing, sliding, tightening and tuning trial and error when sliding the saddles during the intonation process on a Floyd. This makes fixed bridges much easier to intonate than any Floyd. No matter how you attempt to justify it.

• Members

You don't have to block a hard tail or a stop bridge, nor the loosing, sliding, tightening and tuning trial and error when sliding the saddles during the intonation process on a Floyd. This makes fixed bridges much easier to intonate than any Floyd. No matter how you attempt to justify it.

It's all in what you're used to. I can intonate a Floyd just as fast and easy as a Tune-O-Matic. I don't block or unblock the Floyd to do it either.

The real nice thing with Floyds is that once you set them up, you rarely have to ever touch them again. I don't know why people make a big deal out of them, they are really very simple.

Archived