Yamaha AES420 -- an incredible $159.99 guitar!

*Dean*Medlock*

• Members

I received my new, $160 Yamaha AES420 from Sam Ash yesterday...pulled it out of the box, put some new strings on it, and sat down to play it for awhile...

I will admit that the looks of this are going to have to grow on me...but the build quality is outstanding, I can not find one flaw on this thing. The neck is nice and chunky but not too fat, the frets perfect, the rosewood board nice and smooth, and all the hardware performs great. Bottom line: great Yamaha QC as usual. My AES420 was made in Korea.

The silver painted binding around the body is a nice touch and helps break up what would otherwise be an all-black body. The guitar is perfectly balanced, not neck-heavy at all, and although I didn't weigh it I'd guess it's about 7 1/2 pounds or so.

The guitar plays and sounds great...the humbuckers are kind of on the dark side but are not muddy, they sustain great and do not squeal.

Before I had known it, an hour had flown by...that's how much fun I was having with it (and I'm suffering from a bad cold today).

Considering that this same exact guitar is hanging on the wall at a music store here downtown with a $399.99 price tag on it, I feel as if I stole this.

The only things I would wish for is some inlays instead of dots and maybe another set of volume/tone controls...but this is a very nice guitar that any guitarist could appreciate having in his/her collection...and at $160, every guitarist could afford to. Unfortunately, Sam Ash is now sold out of these...those who got in on this deal made out big time.

Great Price for a terrific guitar!

I got the RGX320 FZ recently blown out for $199. I have to agree, Yamaha is putting out an impressive product for short money. Great pups, great fit and finish!

Congratulations and where the heck are your pics????

:D:thu:

• Members

Well, it sounds pretty good through my MicroCube and my J-Station. As soon as my new Avatar cabinet gets here, I'll plug it into the 6505+ and give it a good workout.

As I mentioned, the guitar's tone tends to be on the darker side...so I would think it would sound pretty killer through the 6505+.

• Members

very nice pic's, I like it a lot, it's got a classy look to it, I bet they are made on the same line as the 620, 720 etc, everything looks the same on my 620 except mine is a string thru body and has a extra knob, the rest is cosmetic(besides the JB and the tuners I think). Yammy neck pup thru my cuebe30 JC model, holy crap! I love it. You might find yourself in the same dilemma that I have, you will want to upgrade down the road and will not be ble to find anything you like for twice the cost of your Yammy (and I talkin the 399 price!!!!) These sound better than Epi Elitist and LP Studios my friend!!! (I'm talkin unplugged) I wish I could try out one of those Edwards against it, I GASing for a gold top!!

• Members

I played one owned by Clint Lowery from Sevendust. Those are sweet guitars for cheap.
:thu:

LOL, Sevendust. I almost feel sorry for all the drop-d Nu-Metallers now. How could they really think that trend would last? Oh well, at least tthey have their "standard issue" tatts and piercings to remind them of that brief, wonderful time when the record-buying public demanded bands with little to no talent. Maybe in 10 years or so Sevendust can go on tour with Seven Mary Three and Eve 6. That'll be big fun.

• Members

LOL, Sevendust. I almost feel sorry for all the drop-d Nu-Metallers now. How could they really think that trend would last? Oh well, at least tthey have their "standard issue" tatts and piercings to remind them of that brief, wonderful time when the record-buying public demanded bands with little to no talent. Maybe in 10 years or so Sevendust can go on tour with Seven Mary Three and Eve 6. That'll be big fun.

Sevendust is actually amazing live. The drummer is GREAT and the guitarists can actually play their instruments. You should check out the album Home.

They're probably the only exception to the anti-Nu Metal rule.

Hey, looks good in black!
:thu:

That's the deal with most Yammies: if you can live with the oddball looks, you get a great guitar. It's like having a chubby wife who's also a gourmet chef and a licensed sex therapist.
:freak::D

:D :D

That looks like an LP version of mine! I just can't get over setneck for these prices!!

Yamahargx320fz05.jpg

• Members

:D
:D

That looks like an LP version of mine! I just can't get over setneck for these prices!!

Yamahargx320fz05.jpg

That's sweet also...I chose the AES420 over the one you chose only because I didn't have a guitar with the LP-like 24 3/4" scale length.

If I didn't just drop some major $$$ on a new 6505+ and Avatar cabinet, I probably would have grabbed that one also.

Archived