Eric Clapton...Mark Knopfler... or David Gilmour

sleestak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Beck, Clapton and Gilmour! the real guitar gods. I still don't know why some people like Knopfler. Gilmour proves playing faster is not better!!! and those who don't care for Clapton, listen to his 24 nights live album, fastforward to Old Love. it's soooo good you are gonna cry.

• Members

I still don't know why some people like Knopfler.

Well, we all have different tastes. Have you listened to the first Dire Straits album? If you've listened to that and still don't care for it, then its just not your thing. If you haven't...well, you might just be missing out.

• Members

Beck vs. Gilmour = Now THERE'S a competition!

Seeing Jeff Beck live, you realize why he is the legend he is. Check out the song he and Clapton play together on "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball." He just blows eric out of the water.

Clapton always says the same thing. "I just want to play the blues." But I listen to his songs, like the version of "Crossroads" they did - and how, by any reasonable stretch of the imagination do you call his version bluesy? It's maybe country western, maybe jittery, maybe uptight white boys rock, but it's not blues. Then "Lay Down Sally" and "I Shot the Sheriff." Uggh. I need to be sick.

I guess I'd have to go with Beck, because he's still playing and improving, and Gilmour's best years were definitely with Classic Floyd. And they were GOOD years!

• Members

but the Official Living Greatest Guitarist in the World and a British "Strathead" is of course His Royal Jeffness the Lord of Beck.

yeah i would definately throw beck i the mix but i dont think clapton should be out

if i had to pick check my avatar

• Members

Personally I love all of them and won't make a comparison (and that includes Beck who I saw a while back and was just amazing). I've seen Clapton and Gilmour live as well and loved them. I'd like to see Knopfler but he doesn't seem to tour much (or at least not around these parts)

I don't see why it's so important to classifiy one over another if you like what they do. If you don't like it then nothing will change that either likely (unless you sat down with them and they schooled you).

• Members

Wow- I am surprised how much agreement there is here!

Beck, Knopfler, and Gilmour (along with SRV) are precisely why I favor "fender tone". True they all dabble in other things, but what they do with strats is iconic.

I've never been big on Clapton either. One other unmentioned british strat hero (at least to some) is Blackmore...He's not in MY top 10, but just sayin'.:o

• Members

Gilmour's solos move me in a way that the other three havent. It's hard to describe, but hes always hitting the right note at the right time. It's simple but so much is said through so little.

Now with that being said, I'm a huge Knopfler fan. Eric Clapton is a great guitarist too, but some of his songs are gah bleh yuck.

• Members

Pitting Knopfler vs. Gilmour is like choosing between one's left and right legs: both are crucial to movement through life.

Knopfler's work on "Dire Straits" is unmatched for the "strat sound". Also, he's lead-singing, lead-song writing, and lead guitaring -- things Gilmour doesn't seem to have as much flair for. However...

Gilmour makes the guitar cry. One of his little licks on "Echoes" (a dreamy, short bit) qualifies as my favorite 15 seconds of music. And, of course, who can argue with such tried and true work as "Comfortably Numb"?

I don't mind Clapton, but I'm still not sure what the fuss is all about. I guess people dig Cream, but I never did.

• Members

Also, he's lead-singing, lead-song writing, and lead guitaring -- things Gilmour doesn't seem to have as much flair for. However...

You know that all of Pink Floyd's songs are written by Gilmour/Waters, Gilmour and Waters split lead vocal responsibility, and, not only is he the lead guitarist, he's the only guitarist.

Gilmour = if not > Knofler

IMO, of course. :thu:

• 13 years later...

Archived