Eric Clapton...Mark Knopfler... or David Gilmour

sleestak

• Members

Knopfler

Clapton is good but I've never been blown away by his playing, live (I saw him this fall) or recorded. To me it just sounds kind of generic. Don't get me wrong, I love his music (Layla is one of my favorite albums these days) but as a player I feel like the way he plays could be pretty easily replicated.

Gilmour has some of the best phrasing out there and amazing tone, but I'll have to go with Knopfler. He is a truly unique sounding player who covers a TON of musical ground. Sweet phrasing and licks you don't hear anyone else play because of his technique. And an amen to whoever mentioned "In The Gallery"! Great rhythm playing on that tune too, it's hard to play his rhythms correctly using a pick while you can get by using a pick on the leads.

thx to him and derrick trucks i've started trying to play "pickless". it can make for some awkward rhythm stuff, but i love the versatility on lead.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i promise i will never forget jeff beck again.

OK - but we only cut you slack this time....

I really like all three - but in order of listening preference..

Knopfler

Gilmour

Clapton

an all are very close.

(and Beck - if included - would be first by a wide margin)

• Members

Most of us love them all - Clapton was kinda my first love, when it comes to rockin.

But Gilmour is the man. He will always be my favourite.

Same here. Clapton was one of the first guitarists that I listened to a lot and "studied" (behind SRV of course), and I still love his playing, but Gilmour is just it for me. I listen to Clapton maybe once a month.. I listen to Pink Floyd almost everyday.

I never really followed Knopfler. He's a great player, though.

• Members

In the battle of melody and phrasing, I think Gilmour takes the cake with ease.

The massive amount of melodies in the gigantic repertoire to his name should give you the answer easily. We are talking about albums, each with numerous songs that are unforgettable to most guitar players.

Obscured By Clouds (though under-rated, has awesome guitar)

Dark Side of the Moon (Breath, Money, Time, ...)

Wish you Were Here (Shine on You crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here for acoustic, enough said there)

Animals (The solo on Dogs is mind blowing)

The Wall (Comfortably Numb[magnum opus to some], Another Brick in the Wall, Young Lust, Is there anybody out there, Run Like Hell)

The Division Bell(Coming Back to Life is amazing, and the CD is filled with other excellent melodies and songs)

Furthermore, David seems to take his playing into a realm of its own in the guitar world. While Clapton and Knopfler, both of whom are amazing guitarists use very blues influenced playing, Gilmour, while having a certain blues attitude and spicing, bases his playing solely on what sound his guitar produces, or the melody that results from what he plays, and I think that means a lot to many of his fans.

At least that's the way I feel.

• Members

but the Official Living Greatest Guitarist in the World and a British "Strathead" is of course His Royal Jeffness the Lord of Beck.

To be fair Clapton shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Beck and Gilmour.

Just in case you need some reference.

what he said

• Members

Me too. Clapton is the most overrated guitarist on the planet, by far. He's good, but nothing amazingly special. Plus the majority of his most popular songs were covers.

now THAT is a great call. how do you think jj cale feels about cocaine? it's not just that he covered it, but the WHOLE song SOUNDS the same! add hand jive, and it's a ripoff.

anybody know if those two are buddies?

• Members

, Another Brick in the Wall, Young Lust, Is there anybody out there, Run Like Hell)

The Division Bell(Coming Back to Life is amazing, and the CD is filled with other excellent melodies and songs)

Furthermore, David seems to take his playing into a realm of its own in the guitar world.

I agree with all of that. Yet I still feel Knopfler wins. :D

That's just how good Knopfler is. Or, to put it another way, I'll quote Douglas Adams (again): "Mark Knopfler has an extraordinary ability to make a Schecter Custom Stratocaster hoot and sing like angels on a Saturday night, exhausted from being good all week and needing a stiff beer"

• Members

now THAT is a great call. how do you think jj cale feels about cocaine? it's not just that he covered it, but the WHOLE song SOUNDS the same! add hand jive, and it's a ripoff.

anybody know if those two are buddies?

they just recorded an album together actually...

Also, I love the southern/country influence in Knopfler's playing. Alot of people mix in blues but not too many people do the country.

Archived