Eric Clapton...Mark Knopfler... or David Gilmour

sleestak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, i have to admit i entered this after reading the gajillion-post clapton lp/strat thread. i just think he's not the player the other two are but in pop culture, probably the best known.

btw, love the avatar mr. freeze. you like derrick trucks, as well, i imagine.

• Moderators

but the Official Living Greatest Guitarist in the World and a British "Strathead" is of course His Royal Jeffness the Lord of Beck.

To be fair Clapton shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Beck and Gilmour.

Just in case you need some reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk0l3X7e6c&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk42NryqcKI&mode=related&search=

• Members

Gilmour is my favorite mainly because I'm such a huge Pink Floyd fan. I just like the way he can take a single note and make it sound perfect for the part whether that means bending or just the tone itself - he always plays to the song and not just for show. I also dig knopfler a lot. His tone can go from sparkly clean to that 'money for nothin' smooth and nasty. Clapton I can't say I'm as impressed with though he is pretty damn good too. I'm more into his early stuff with Cream and not so much the more mainstream solo stuff. I really like his playing on Roger Waters album Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

• Members

Knopfler. Listen to the solo on In The Gallery. Case closed.

edit: btw, I also love Gilmour and Clapton. Alot. They are all awesome (as is Beck). Three albums anyone on this forum must own: Dire Straits, Dark Side of the Moon, Disraeli Gears.

• Members

Gilmour is my favorite mainly because I'm such a huge Pink Floyd fan. I just like the way he can take a single note and make it sound perfect for the part whether that means bending or just the tone itself - he always plays to the song and not just for show. I also dig knopfler a lot. His tone can go from sparkly clean to that 'money for nothin' smooth and nasty. Clapton I can't say I'm as impressed with though he is pretty damn good too. I'm more into his early stuff with Cream and not so much the more mainstream solo stuff. I really like his playing on Roger Waters album Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

Interestingly, Money for Nothing is on a Les Paul, which Knopfler has really gotten into in the last decade or so. But you are so right about his versatility. ever hear neck and neck with Chet Atkins?

• Members

I think I'm probably the only guy on here that actually detests Clapton. He's boooooooooooring recorded, and only slightly more exciting in a live performance. His rocking back and forth drives me nuts. He can play, absolutely, but it's boring to me, and I LOVE blues players. Not a big Knopfler fan, but he's got some good tone. Gilmour though, now there is a true musical mind. Rich tapestries of songs, layer upon layer of vibe..

• Members

+1 on Jeff Beck. Back inthe mid-1980s I was big into Dire Straits, Cool Hand Clapton and later Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse...) because the music was just so soulful, but then one day I heard Beck's "People Get Ready" and all the rest paled in comparison! :love:

• Members

I think I'm probably the only guy on here that actually detests Clapton. He's boooooooooooring recorded, and only slightly more exciting in a live performance. His rocking back and forth drives me nuts. He can play, absolutely, but it's boring to me, and I LOVE blues players. Not a big Knopfler fan, but he's got some good tone. Gilmour though, now there is a true musical mind. Rich tapestries of songs, layer upon layer of vibe..

100% agreement here.

I'll take Gilmour (and Beck).

• Members

Knopfler

Clapton is good but I've never been blown away by his playing, live (I saw him this fall) or recorded. To me it just sounds kind of generic. Don't get me wrong, I love his music (Layla is one of my favorite albums these days) but as a player I feel like the way he plays could be pretty easily replicated.

Gilmour has some of the best phrasing out there and amazing tone, but I'll have to go with Knopfler. He is a truly unique sounding player who covers a TON of musical ground. Sweet phrasing and licks you don't hear anyone else play because of his technique. And an amen to whoever mentioned "In The Gallery"! Great rhythm playing on that tune too, it's hard to play his rhythms correctly using a pick while you can get by using a pick on the leads.

Archived